Sunday, July 24, 2022

Returning to some UFOs

 I have taken out a couple of projects that I put aside a while ago. I have finally returned to working on the Log Cabin Star quilt. That is my name for it. It is Judy Martin's Timberline Log Cabin quilt from this book. I am making the queen sized version. Here is a picture of the wall-hanging size.


I had 10 blocks that were close to being finished. I had to add the last log to three of them and then do all 10 y-seams. The final 2 logs on each block are not easy as you have to match seams on the diamonds. No matter how precise I am in my stitching....and trust me I do a whole lot of seam ripping...it seems I can't get those last to logs to go together easily. Surprisingly, the last log worked perfectly on those three blocks and all that was left was the y-seam. The first 6 were a breeze. The next 2 gave me fits and then the last two worked fine. I now have 41 out of 196 blocks completed. 

I started the next 10 blocks right away. 

I hope to work on this quilt at least 2 days a week each week. 

I have started bringing this wooden box with me to work on when visiting my mom. It was a birthday gift from a friend a few years ago. It uses a lot of floss to make the stitches as the lid is easily a quarter inch thick.


It isn't easy to slip the needle under the stitches when ending off either, because, of course, the box is very rigid. I am using this thimble to help. 
I had bought it for my mom a couple of years ago, but she never used it. I found it in one of her fabric drawers and it helps a lot with this project.

I am working the the tree branches and trunk of the Woodland Animals birth announcement. There are a whole lot of different shades of brown in this tree.

  If you haven't seen it already, I posted about my daughter's baby shower here. I am going to try to post twice a week now that I am retired as I am working on too many projects lately to share in one post a week. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Gosh Cathie , you are going to be a busy bee ,
    Nice start on your quilt .
    Have a fun Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your retirement! The birth announcement is looking fabulous! My daughter did a stitching project on wood and she also found it hard to end the treads at the back. I’ve never seen that type of thimble before…glad it’s helping! Isn’t it funny how some blocks go together easily and others don’t? Happy sewing! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colors of your Timberline Cabin project. I too work on an old UFO every Sunday until it is complete. (We went camping this week and I didn't get to take it with me.) My stratagey of working on a UFO once a week has really paid off. My WIP list continue to slowly go down. Happy stitching. Woohoo for posting more often now that you are retired. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a good strategy. First I really have to organize my craft area to see what I have. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Your daughter's baby shower looks as if much enjoyment was had. Some beautiful gifts were given. I see your beautiful baby elephant blanket was a hit. Now to the Log Cabin Star quilt; it is amazing. I would imagine all those Y seams would give me the fits...not just some. Love the stitching you are doing on the box. Goodness it looks tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that unique project you are working on the thimble with rubber finger attached you found to help! The birth announcement is coming right along and I hope you are enjoying that quilt top production... it will be beautiful when pieced all together :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen that type of thimble before I hope it helps you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your post about the baby shower! It looks like it was lots of fun. The box you are stitching the lid for looks like a neat project. Glad you found a special thimble that will help make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of projects on the go. The box looks a challenge. I'm visiting fro Slow Sunday Stitching

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cathie: Your quilt is lovely; I think star quilt is a perfect name.
    I like the looks of the box top and the thimble is very interesting, i have to look this one up on Amazon.
    Nice progressive on the Sampler.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Long way to go with your quilt but it is going to look amazing! Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I knew from the beginning that this was a fairly long term project. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  11. Great projects you are working on. Looks like a fun baby shower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt when done! Have a fun week. Come see our new Kitty.!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I cant wait to see the embroidered box lid finished, never seen one of these before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like you Log Cabin Star quilt, but not the y- seams! Interesting thimble, I have never seen one like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the y-seams as much as the adding the final two logs and matching the seams for the diamonds. Once I have those diamond seams matched well, the y-seams tend to go together fairly easily.

      Delete
  15. Rebecca SchnekenburgerJuly 25, 2022 at 12:28 AM

    I really like your Log Cabin Star quilt! But not the y-seams. That is an interesting thimble, I have never seen one like that before. That will be a lovely box top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The y-seams aren't as bad as matching the final two logs on each block. I am not a thimble person, but this works for the wooden box. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.