Wednesday, July 27, 2022

A midweek post of crafts and books.

I have plenty of time for crafting now that I am off for the summer retired. That means I have more updates to write about than I can manage in just one post a week. At least right now.  

I have been adding stitches to October Morning. I have stitched all the way to the lower right corner and finished the fence. 

I also finished all the rust colored stitching above the mailbox.

I added some rows to the my first crocheted sock. It seems to be going well. Although the yarn looks grey in this photo is is actually a variegated forest green.

I was reading "The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post" by Alison Pataki, but I didn't finish it before my loan ran out and I am now on the wait list to renew. It is a novel based on Marjorie Post's interesting life. For many years a local college was called C.W. Post Community College (now LIU Post) named after Marjorie Post's father and established on an estate that he had built specifically for her. I have actually worked near that college for the past few years. 

I read "The Huntress" by Kate Quinn in the meantime. I can't say that I really liked this book. I almost stopped reading it when I was a third of the way through. It is very dark and I just didn't like the characters. I decided to read some of the reviews of this book before putting it aside and they were glowing, so I decided to continue reading it. I am glad that I finished this book, but I wasn't impressed. It was easy to figure out the plot line and the intervening events were mostly depressing. 

I am now reading "The Address" by Fiona Davis. I have no firm opinion of it yet, but I am not enjoying it as much as some of her other books. 

I thought I would leave you with a view of the beautiful sky Hubby and I saw on our evening walk on Monday. 

It was after a cold front came through with thunderstorms, but not much rain. It is now about 10 degrees cooler than it has been lately.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Your Autumn stitch is looking lovely .
    Good progress on the socks .
    Some times I get a book I don't really like but carry on , some times it's good but most times it not .
    Enjoy your freedom .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have liked all of Kate Quinn's books but there are other books that some mention that I can't stand - we all have our likes. I don't think I realized you retired - yes now you have time for sure to blog more often if you wish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathie: Nice progress on October Morning, it looks like you are close to the finish line on this design.
    Retirement is grand, I love that I can stitch, read and take a nap anytime I want now, no work obligations, however I do miss my colleagues.
    The color yarn you are using for the socks is pretty.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Log Cabin arrangement and how you have a variety of projects to share. Isn't it wonderful to be retired! You are doing so well with full coverage on this cross stitching...I'm not fond of that. Do show the crocheted sock finish...also interesting to me. Pretty sky too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading that sentence 'I'm retired' music to my ears!! Go YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.