Sunday, July 3, 2022

First week of summer vacation!

We are celebrating Independence Day on the Fourth of July here in the USA! Hence, the change in the header photo. Except for the local (illegal) neighborhood fireworks, it should be quiet here. Hubby and I will be visiting our moms and then just staying home. We may go in our pool if the weather is good. 

I have been enjoying my first week off from work. I started the baby announcement cross-stitch and have made a lot of progress. These are the leaves of the central tree.


I have all of the needed floss now so I can just keep on stitching.

I want to get back to sewing my daughter's quilt, but the sewing area needs straightening and I think I want to assemble the Santa stocking first so I can put it away with the other Christmas stockings and get it out of the sewing area. I looked at my own cross-stitched stocking and decided to use some red felt as backing fabric. I have a nice tree fabric for the lining. 

I have to make a trip to Joanns to get some piping.

I have started another new project. I am crocheting a pair of socks with some yarn that I remember buying in ACMoore's bargain bin. I bought it specifically to try making my first socks. I have the cuff of the first sock completed. 

It is a somewhat drab colorway, but I believe the skeins were only 50 cents each.

On Thursday Hubby and I went to the nearby Clark Botanic Garden. It is a 12 acre garden with some beautiful flowers and foliage. I have a bunch of photos to share.







Below is my husband's hand to give you an idea of the size of those flowers!


A beautiful Japanese maple tree.
There was a wide variety of colorful daylilies.



And some more.



I loved the dark edges on the leaves of the hosta below.
Only a few more photos to share. I hope you're not bored.
I have the golden coral bells below in front of my house. I love them.


It was a nice morning adventure. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I think I will add more stitches to the baby announcement. I am really enjoying working on it.

Thanks for stopping by!



14 comments:

  1. Nice start on your new stitching .
    I like the fabric for your stocking .
    Lovely garden photos , love all the day lilies .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree leaves are precious..... I love the color of the sock yarn.
    The 🌹 roses are lovely as are the other pics of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those gardens would have been wonderful to wander around. Everything is blooming beautifully. That oak leaf hydrangea is huge. The fabric for the lining of Santa is a pretty one. Enjoy your July 4th. Maybe it will be hot and you can swim in your pool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting the Botanic garden through your photos.
    The baby announcement had a great start. Enjoy your Summer vacation time and Happy Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are off to a garden tour today. Lots of lovely flowers at the garden you visited. Great fabrics for the stocking….I forgot to send you the picture of the lining of the stocking I made. Sorry. The piping will be a great finishing touch. Can’t wait to see more of the birth announcement. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures of the botanic garden. Hope you enjoy your summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Botanic gardens are so enjoyable to visit! Looks like you saw lots of pretty flowers. It will be fun to see Santa transform into a stocking! Enjoy your stitching today, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you are enjoying your first week off of work which means more stitching time. It's a nice feeling to have all the floss you need on a project. Compliments on the Santa - it's beautiful. I would love to visit Clark Botanic Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Your Baby Announcement will be beautiful when
    done. All your flowers are awesome...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathie: Lovely start on the tree leaves.
    I am so looking forward to seeing the stocking finished, it has been fun watching him progress.
    Thank-you for sharing the lovely garden photos.
    Hopefully it will be quiet her and no fireworks.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always so pleasant to be out and about in a beautiful garden. Congratulations on starting your first sock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the grey yarn for your socks. Those flowers are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that yarn was grey, it is a muddy green. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  13. You made it through another year! I hope your summer is filled with fun :) Gorgeous photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.