Sunday, May 30, 2021

No surgery.

After deciding to go ahead with the surgery to repair my shoulder, I had an appointment with my orthopedist on Wednesday. In the end, he favored just letting it heal as he feared I would have more pain (I currently don't have any) and, as the surgery is invasive, it might do more harm than good. So I am not having surgery. I am allowed to remove the sling during the day while keeping my arm near my body in order to allow the upper arm muscle to start doing its job holding the bone correctly in the socket. I have been doing this on and off as my arm begins to ache after a while. 

I can also knit or crochet while the sling is off, but casting on 119 stitches for another Butterfly Baby Blanket (you can see the 1st one here) tested the limits of my arm's endurance. I believe I have enough yarn. 

This is where I am so far. Just a beginning.

Throughout last week I added a few stitches here and there to my secret stitching. Again, my arm starts to ache after stitching with less than 18 inches if floss and all it is doing is holding the standing hoop steady. Here is a peek.

I have done a lot of reading. I am catching up with some back issues of Country Home and Good Housekeeping magazines. I also read "Year of Wonders" by Geraldine Brooks. Set in the 1600s during the time of the Plague it was not the most uplifting story, but it had its merits and was easy and enjoyable to read. Now I am reading "The Winter Sea" by Susannah Kearsley. I am already a quarter of the way through it. It is quite intriguing. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Over the weekend prior to my fall I started filling some of the pots that sit on my deck. I planted 2 cherry tomato plants and some lettuce.

I also filled some pots with salvia, petunias, and impatiens.


My rhododendrons are in bloom, though yesterday's cold rain have since depleted the blooms.
My irises are looking very pretty this year also.
Hubby and I took a drive down to a local bayside beach the other night to enjoy the sunset.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site and see what other bloggers are stitching. I will be visiting other blogs and attempting some kind of crafting.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

13 comments:

  1. I think you have done the right thing , I just manage my shoulder and it's getting better , if I feel just a tiny pain I stop what I am doing . Great you can do a little of every thing . Love the flowers and the sunset.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good news your shoulder doesn't require surgery, Cathie. Healing naturally, though slow, is always a good thing. That patch of irises is beautiful. It looks as if everything is blooming beautifully there. Take care while you knit and cross stitch. Take time to enjoy those sunsets. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you can heal slowly at home instead of surgery and possible painful implications you aren't worried about now... how nice to have an orthopod who isn't scalpel happy too! I love your work on the butterfly baby blanket and the secret project.... with your sling on taking a break from all I bet you are enjoying your yard and that gorgeous sunset too! Hope you kissed as the sun set over the horizon :D Enjoyed your post today... Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder, please don't overdo it as it will take longer to heal. The yarn for your baby blanket is very pretty I love the colours, beautiful flowers. Take care and enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your santa is coming along, Cathie. It must be hard to know what to do with this kind of injury...but if you are not in pain and the muscle can rebuild to further hold the joint properly than I would agree not to have the surgery which always comes with risks. Meanwhile, you must be careful not to overdo though I well understand the desire to put in a few stitches. Take care now...oh love the afghan in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you won't have to undergo surgery for your poor shoulder; slow healing tests your patience for sure. But hang in there--a few stitches here and there will still mount up...I like Susannah Kearsley's books a lot...reading is a great alternative--takes you away from it, doesn't it?
    I also love that afghan header--so pretty hugs for pain free days....Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is good news about no surgery and healing naturally, so glad you're able to do a little bit here and there on your projects! Your flowers and plants are looking happy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knitting and your healing are just starting, so take it slow and eventually you will hopefully have less pain and more knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous flowers! Hope you heal up quickly! I'm having both eyes done on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shoulders can be tricky things and often it's best to leave them to heal naturally. At least you can do a little crafting but best not to push to hard it is early days. Take care and enjoy relaxing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smart idea to avoid surgery as long as it will heal and you have no pain. It's great that you remove the sling for your stitching. It'll get stronger everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am glad you are not in pain and I would do what the doctor suggests. no reason to anger the shoulder. I hope you continue to heal and be able to do more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope your shoulder heals quickly and that you will be able to resume all of your normal activities soon. I’m glad you do not have any pain and that you can do a little bit of crafting here and there. Your flowers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.