Sunday, July 19, 2020

Progress and a finish!

I have finally finished my baby blanket after having to un-knit several rows. I was just happily knitting along one evening and decided to measure the length of the blanket. Well, wouldn't you know it, I had passed the length that I had wanted to stop at by one whole pattern repeat. Yes, I could have left it alone, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with an extra-long blanket. So I spent time ripping out rows while visiting with my mom the next day.
A close-up.
I am totally happy with the way that it has turned out now!

I have also made a lot of headway with my Patriotic Bunny. The cake is done and has a story of its own. As I am stitching with the white floss I realize I am running out. I go to my supplies and find another skein of DMC white that I can use. Uh-oh, this white is definitely not the bright white that I was currently using. It has a creamier tone to it. Usually I have a few skeins of white on hand, but not this time. I wasn't going to frog all those bright white stitches and I still had some of the bright white left. Since this pattern uses, three strands of floss, I decided to ease into the creamier white by using two strands of bright white with one strand of the creamier white for a little while and then go to one strand of bright white and 2 of the creamier white near the end. Thankfully, I had enough of the bright white that I could stay with the 2 strands of it to one of the creamier white right until the end. The change is really not noticeable and I am happy with the result.
Now I have to add the bunny's feet and complete the back-stitching and embellishments. The white embellishments will all have to be in creamy white, but I don't think that will be noticeable either. I will have to buy some more white floss sometime soon. 

I realized that I really want to finish a few items so that I can move on to my trying out some blocks for my daughter's quilt. That was my initial plan to work on this summer. I don't have all the fabrics that I need, but at least I can make a sample block and see whether or not I really want to attempt this quilt.
The log cabin pieces are really skinny and there is a y-seam to learn. The version shown above is much smaller than the queen-sized quilt I would be making.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I think I will work on that bunny's feet today. 

I might make some more of this delicious Best Healthy Cole Slaw Ever too.

 I made it last week and we both really liked it. I am not a fan of mayonnaise and this recipe is made with a sweet, light dressing. It only takes half of a head of each type of cabbage so I still have some on hand. I left out the seeds and nuts as I couldn't find any in the grocery store and hubby would not have been a fan. I have been trying to find some light vegetable salads for the two of us. I figure that healthier eating can only help during this pandemic. 

Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. I have a recipe something like that for coleslaw mine has honey instead of maple syrup

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty blanket!
    That coleslaw sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very attractive knitted baby blanket - love the pattern of stitches. Differences in white floss - been there and done that. Frustrating. So much so that I went through my stash and eliminated all whites and now use Anchor white floss. Coleslaw looks yummy and I've pinned it on my recipe board. Thanks for sharing as we are trying to eat lighter and more veggies this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely baby blanket. Love your bunny. The coleslaw looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely baby blanket!
    And a clever solution to the floss variation!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The baby blanket is very beautiful! Sorry you had to reach up, but it was probably the best so the baby blanket got the right length. The embroidery is great and it was a good way you solved the problem with the white thread.
    So beautiful quilt you are going to make for your daughter.
    The cole slaw looks delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your baby blanket is such a pretty color and design! I had to laugh that you were enjoying your knitting so much that you went on too long! The patriotic bunny is looking great, too. Funny how we can put two white fabrics or threads next to each other and they won't be the same, but you can't tell it from your photo. The coleslaw looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathie, I just love the knitted baby blanket you made... and the bunny cake looks perfectly white to me even when I blow it up and no one will do that when you are done with it! lol Enjoy stitching! I think that quilt looks cool... is that a Judy Martin recipe?? Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The baby blanket looks lovely and soft! Your cross stitch is looking great, you certainly can't see the addition of creamy white. It's amazing how many whites there are! That coleslaw looks really tasty, I always mix my mayo dressing with 0 Greek yoghurt just to try and be a bit healthier! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby blanket looks beautiful.
    Great stitching .
    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the blanket is gorgeous!! now to check out that salad recipe.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cathie: That baby afghan is beautiful, such a pretty pattern.
    I love your Patriotic Bunny so sweet.
    I am looking forward to seeing the quilt worked on.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are nice projects....and the coleslaw looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.