Saturday, August 10, 2024

The decision has been made!

Apparently my daughter and her husband had decided a while ago which quilt layout they liked, but forgot to tell me. I asked her when they visited last week/weekend and she told me they chose this one:


 I laid out all of the blocks again on Friday in the appropriate setting and then picked them up from left to right and clipped together the fourteen blocks of each of the fourteen rows.

 
The borders will be sewn together separately.

As I waited for my daughter's decision, I decided to finish cutting out all of the 1 1/4" square corner blocks to make the snowball blocks. Then I decided that I should spend the time to mark the white diagonal sewing line on each square so that I could just pick them up and go.

 I have managed to make 22 snowball blocks of the 120 that I need. These will be put aside for a bit while I sew the Log Cabin blocks together. Or I may work on both alternately if one of them frustrates me.

While watching the Olympics, I have almost finished the cross stitching my Prairie Schooler Santa. 

I haven't done any more with the gingerbread ornament. I will work on that this coming week. 

I got the baking bug this week. Mostly due to the fact that my mother-in-law got a bag of produce from her neighbor and sent most of it to us. I had to figure out how to use one very large zucchini. From that one zucchini I got a dozen Zucchini Bread Muffins from Sally's Baking Addiction ...

and one bread from my 1985 Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book. 

Both are delicious. I sliced the bread and froze most of it for future snacking. 

There were also a whole bunch of cherry tomatoes that were going bad. We must have gotten over two pints and we don't eat that much of them. I decided to make Cherry Tomato Focaccia Bread using them. 

This was very tasty also, but it was a little too thin for my taste. I may try it again with a slightly smaller baking pan.

I will be joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. We have been watching the olympics too. I have been cross stitching and knitting while watching. Your Santa has really come along and will soon be done! I like the setting your daughter and SIL picked …can’t beat a classic barn raising. You will have the top together in no time. Do you have a long arm quilter who will quilt it for you? The I spy quilts will provide hours of entertainment! When I have too much zucchini, I chop it up in the food processor and freeze it. Great for soups and spaghetti sauce in the winter. Gail at the Cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking it's time to bake some zucchini bread or muffins! I'll have to check out those recipe sites you mentioned. That's a beautiful setting for the log cabin star! I bet you're ready to get this one finished up. The Prairie Schooler Santa is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking to use up that produce is a good idea. Must admit I've never made zucchini bread. I'm sure I've seen a recipe around for zucchini chocolate cake, that might be fun to bake next time you get more zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zucchini muffins sounds really good right now. I am scaling down what I knit for the holidays this year and even with the scaling down I don't know if I will get everything done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Cathie I am so excited about this post and that with the blocks working on some border blocks only in your leisure and your daughter has approved this layout. Obviously it’s been a while since I’ve been able to stop by your blog… I’m glad I came across it today while searching Facebook. I’m just not on Facebook that match anymore of the quilt I love your Crosstitch. I love everything you’re up to especially the zucchini bread. Oh that looks fabulous and the pizza with the tomato tomato Just fantastic! Have a fabulous week. Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.