Sunday, August 25, 2024

Another finish near the end of August

August is nearing its end and so is Summer. Hubby goes back to teaching the day after Labor Day. The days have been getting cooler here especially overnight and the water in our pool is almost too cold for my preferences. I have always believed that I loved all the seasons equally, but I realized this year that Summer is my least favorite. I don't like being out in the hot sun, yet I like a really warm pool. It doesn't help that I seem to have developed an allergy either to the sun or sunscreen that causes my arms and legs to itch awfully at the end of each day. Trying to figure it out with my dermatologist. Ah well, the cooler weather will be here soon. 

I finished stitching the 2005 Prairie Schooler Santa!

Looking at the photo, I am not real happy with how the running stitch border looks. It is almost invisible. The instructions said to use one strand of floss, but I think it needed two. I may have to go back and fix that. Next, I have to look in my stash for backing fabric and see if I have any appropriate trims to make a small pillow. 

I also finished the front of another Christmas ornament.

I have cut out the felt backing and need to embroider the personalization. Then all that is needed is an easy assembly.

Of course, since the Santa was finished, I had to start something new. 

This is "A Crow's Pick" from the Sept/Oct 2011 issue of Just Cross Stitch magazine. I wanted to add another small pillow to my Fall decor as I have seen many other bloggers do recently. 

I am making progress on my daughter's quilt (Judy Martin's Timberline). This is the middle two blocks of the 9th row that I finished stitching yesterday. 

I am pretty pleased with how well the seams match. Not all of the seams that need to match are perfect, but that is just the way they will have to stay. The seams are not so far off that they ruin the look. I have had to swap some blocks as I go in order to find diamonds that are close enough in width. All the diamonds should be 7/8", but I am finding that some are 1" wide. 

A big thank you to Gail at The Cozy Quilter. She sent some 3.5 inch cotton blocks to me to supplement my I-spy quilt blocks. 

Aren't they wonderful? I can't wait to include them in the quilts. I have put them aside right now as I want to concentrate on finishing my daughter's quilt. Once it is done, it will be full steam ahead with these quilts. 

I am joinging Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see the squares arrived! It’s been cooler at night and in the morning here too. More hot weather in the forecast for us this coming week. Santa is wonderful and the candy cane ornament will be treasured! Lots of matching points in your daughter’s quilt. Once it is quilted, no one will notice if it is a little bit off in spots. The overall look of the quilt will be stunning! Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might very well have developed an allergy to the sunscreen and the sun could make it worse. I hope you notice a difference soon by either stopping the sunscreen all together for awhile or that and staying out of the sun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prairie School Santas are the best. I think it looks fine. Diamonds are coming along. Great I Spy fabrics from Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do such lovely stitching. How nice of Gail to send you some squares for your Eye Spy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Santa is so fun! Glad he will be an easy finish. Your daughter's quilt sounds like it's going together well, too. It's going to be a beauty! Hope you figure out the skin problem - that doesn't sound fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Santa , have fun and a good week , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use on my legs feet arms hands - cerave mineral 50. On my neck I use supergoop play 50.

    I have bought clothes that have sun protection and always wear a hat. I am sun sensitive due to the autoimmune disease I have and I am heat intolerant.

    I dislike summer immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.