Saturday, April 6, 2024

Earthquake and feeling better

We had an earthquake! I was sitting at our kitchen table having recently finished breakfast when I heard a loud, long rumble and watch my water start moving. I thought it was a few heavy duty trucks rumbling down the street, but as I went to look out my dining room window I saw my chandelier slightly sway. No trucks to be seen. Hubby was getting out of the shower and was wondering what the heck I was doing on the first floor. I went up the stairs and said that I thought we had an earthquake. Sure enough we did. Thankfully there were no injuries anywhere and little damage except near the epicenter. We don't get very many earthquakes here in New York. The last one a few years ago had more of a rolling feeling. This one was just loud with some shaking. We had an aftershock around 6pm that had a similar rumble. I happened to be sitting in the same place for that one. It was an interesting Friday. 

Hubby and I are feeling better after almost 2 weeks of illness. I am finally crafting again. I have been stitching the Pumpkin House on and off. There was a lot of frogging this morning. Do you see the two peach colors on the outer edges of the house by the pumpkins? 

Those are two different DMC colors. On the left is 758 and the right is 3779. They are very close in color. I know that they are very pale. I had to audition these as the DMC conversion that the designer suggested was so close in value to the orange pumpkins that you couldn't discern the pumpkins against the house. It also looked nothing like the color on the sample cover design. 

I am not using the variegated flosses that are charted, but rather the DMC conversions as those are what I have. In the end I decided on the 3779 as the pumpkin was more visible. 


I think this is better. Obviously there is a lot more stitching to do in this color. 

I also finished the last ten Log Cabin Star blocks I was working on. I now have 131 of 196 complete. I have already started on the next 10.

 I want to try to spend at least two mornings a week at my sewing maching to get these done soon. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching tomorrow. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

 

9 comments:

  1. We're about 12 miles from the epicenter and that was some quake! At least from an east coast perspective. Californians would have just laughed. Not much damage, but wow, it was exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, you must have felt that quake much more than I did. I agree, it was exciting.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are both feeling better. There have been some miserable bugs going around. It is very difficult sometimes to tell the difference between some thread colours! Nice to have progress on your daughter's quilt too. I lived in an apartment when I experienced an earthquake--just made the light fixtures swing a little and felt weird. Take care. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you end up with Covid. I have heard of several people that had traveled and came home sick - my brother and his wife went to Scotland and Ireland and came home sick with viruses of some type but not covid like they did 2 years ago. I heard about the earthquake and wondered who among all the blogs I read felt it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an experience - an earthquake! We felt one in California once, and had the same reaction - what was that?! Glad to know you're feeling better now. The pumpkin house is a fun design - I enjoy seeing your progress. It does seem like it can be hard to get the right amount of contrast with some floss colors. Looks like you figured that one out for the pumpkins and house color behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie, I thought of you when I heard there was an earthquake in New York. How interesting you were sitting at the same table for both earthquakes. You're flying with those Log Cabin blocks. With you working on these for two mornings each week all the blocks will be finished before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of you when the earthquake happened, I never experienced one (nor do I wish to!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pleased that you are starting to feel better, it's no fun feeling sick and lethargic. Earthquakes can be quite frightening, I had seen on the new ghat there was one in New York. Here in New Zealand they are not uncommon, there are lots of tiny ones that no one ever feels. This us a goid thing, as it relieves pressure. But at the back of our minds we are waiting for the "big one", rather like California, that would be a real catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you two were sick. You made good stitchy progress despite not feeling completely well. Colour hues on the DMC's are tricky sometimes. My 12 pattern monthly patterns had four different oranges and I just gave up on keeping them straight as they are too close to notice the difference. The weather has been crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.