Sunday, April 21, 2024

Progress and another UFO

I have been steadily working on the Log Cabin Star quilt (Judy Martin's Timberline). I finished another 10 blocks to make the finished total 141.

 Only 55 more of these blocks to complete. I already have the next 10 started.

They are actually further along than the photo above shows. 

I am also busy filling in the Pumpkin House. The sides are done and I have made progress on the center section.

I decided that I needed a project that I could easily work on while watching nighttime TV. I find it too difficult to cross-stitch once it is dark outside so I was looking something easier on the eyes. I decided to try to finish another UFO. This is one of my mom's projects. She had made and hung a Sunbonnet Sue quilt years ago. My daughter has it now. She had also started an Overall Sam quilt, but she never finished the blocks. A few years ago, I took it out and worked with her to choose the final fabrics and I stitched the last few Sam blocks and assembled the top. 

The dark blue backing fabric that mom had chosen for it ran badly when I washed it so I bought a white and navy pindot fabric that will work better.

It is now all pin-basted and ready to be large-stitch quilted with DMC floss. I went to Michaels and got 6 skeins of a dark blue floss that should work just fine. This hand quilting will be my night-time TV craft.

I finished reading "It Ends with Us" by Colleen Hoover.

 I did not enjoy this book. I found some of the subject matter disturbing and I was not really interested in any of the characters. My daughter gave me this book for Christmas so I was determined to finish it, but I really only liked the last 1/4 of the book. 

I also finished reading "The Paris Library" by Janet Skelsien Charles.

This book I loved. It is set in the American Library in Paris during WWII. The characters are extremely interesting and the story moves at a nice pace. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Retirement is definitely agreeing with you! You are making great strides on the log cabin quilt! Love the pumpkin house too…such pretty colours. I think it’s good to have a variety of projects underway at any one time . Big stitch quilting will look good on your mom’s quilt top…a wonderful project for the evenings. Take care. Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I read The Paris Library - I will look it up and see if I did, I read so much I don't remember from month to month until I read a small passage or print up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sunbonnet Sue and Sam quilts are always sweet quilts. I love the idea of big quilting with the blue thread. You are racing along with those Log Cabin blocks. The Paris Library sounds like a book I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin house looks great .
    Your Quilt is also growing .
    Have a fun day .Hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I need to have easy to see projects while watching tv in the evening. Makes for a nice crafting session!! Love the sunbonnet sue pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, Cathie. I love how you include different things in each post. I'm sentimental about Log Cabin quilts ...always love seeing them. Your Pumpkin House is taking shape beautifully. Sunbonnet Sam is also a nostalgic kind of piece to work on. I have an Ott light for night time stitching, but even with that I prefer not to cross stitch at night. I'm sure it is straining.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.