Sunday, April 14, 2024

Frogging, Spring Flowers and a Quilt Show

In one of my recent posts I showed you the Pumpkin House that I am cross-stitching and stated that I had to audition several floss colors that were not the recommended DMC conversion color as the orange pumpkins at the bottom didn't contrast well with it. Well, I had decided on DMC 3779, but as I continued to stitch I realized that it was much too bright peach....almost pink. Back to the drawing board. I needed something a little duller. I finally settled on stitching with one strand of 3779 and one of 3771. The latter is a much duller peach, but when used alone the pumpkins once again did not contrast. With one strand of each floss, you can now see the pumpkins and the color is a much better match to the cover photo.

Spring flowers are in bloom here. My big bed of daffodils is in full bloom.

I have some pretty tulips around also.

I love my purple tulips.

Hubby and I drove to a quilt show about 45 minutes from home yesterday. It was a small show that was not a judged show. I thought you might like to see some of the quilts that I thought were interesting. This is called Passages. I love the graphic look.


This one is Star Shadows.


This guild, the Smithtown Stitchers, had a Row by Row Challenge with several of those quilts on display. This one was "Cakes and Candy and Pie, Oh My!"


This was "Creamsicle, A Study of Orange".


This "Butterfly" was a collage pattern.

So was "Sandy's EBBA".


There was also a House Challenge. I liked "Home Tweet Home".....

and "Pumpkin Cottages".

Finally there was an Ombre Challenge. These were the rules. 

The variety of quilts made was impressive. My favorite quilt was in this challenge, "X Ombre". 

"Light in the Darkness" was also a great quilt from this challenge.

There was one Log Cabin Quilt called "Opposing Logs". 

You know how much I love Log Cabin quilts. Speaking of which, I have committed spending 30 minutes or more most days on the Log Cabin Star quilt and I almost have the next 10 blocks completed. I am about to add the last log to each and then sew the y-seam.



I feel like I am coming down with another cold. It may just be allergies, but I don't think so. Hopefully, it won't knock me down like the last one did. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Love the house stitch, I love stitching houses .
    Beautiful Spring blooms to.
    Oh I fell in love with the butterfly .
    Have a lovely week hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you had to frog again but I think you have found the right colour combo now. 30 minutes a day on the log cabin quilt is really helping to move this one along towards the finish line. I was just at a quilt show on Friday with some friends. One of my friends had never been to a quilt show before. She was in awe! Great quilts at the show you attended. I hope you do not get sick! Don’t you just love this time of year when the flowers start to bloom? Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pumpkin orange looks good. Nice to see the quilts from the show you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to figure out a house color that you are happy with for the pumpkin house! That looks like a fun quilt show - so many creative ideas shown in those challenges. You've got some pretty tulips, too! Mine are finally blooming, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think you found the right color combo. Looks like great quilts in the show. Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you don't get sick again

    ReplyDelete
  6. As someone who just finished a stitchery with pumpkins, I understand your color dilemma. I never would have thought of combining one strand of each. It came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing your spring flowers, so cheerful!! How nice to see some creative quilts to get the creative juices flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilt shows are always fun, full of bright ideas and wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS. Meant to add that I love your Spring flowers, so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.