Sunday, February 4, 2024

February Stitch Along post #1

October Morning is done! Happy Dance!!!

 Followed by extreme disappointment. After working on this for many years, it was dirty so I hand washed it following all the instructions and using a bunch of Color Catchers in the water. It looked great when I was done, but as it dried the maroon floss bled. 

I have spent the last week working to remove all of the pink spots. So far, the internet recommendations to use ice is working, but it is a slow process. 

I also have to buy some Goo Gone as I originally had this piece attached to a scroll frame using peel and stick velcro and there is a gummy residue along two edges. I was able to trim off some of it, but not all as there would not be enough fabric for framing. 

After all of my cross-stitching work, I will get this sorted out. I am not willing to give up on this piece. 

On the brighter side, I have resumed working on Three Boats. 

This is where I left off in April of 2021. 


Oh my, has it really been that long since I worked on this?

I sat down with it this week and managed to determine where I had left off on the current page of the chart. I am working on page number 13 which is the 3rd page I am stitching out of 24 pages. I am working down the left side rather than across so the page numbers do not go in order. I have managed to add a bunch of confetti stitches this week. This is where I am now.


You can see that I am filling in the first of the three boats. I have a feeling you will be seeing this piece for quite some time. I hope you don't get bored.

Thank you to Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea for hosting this Stitch Along every three weeks and sending us the needed posting reminders. 

Grab yourself a cup of coffee or tea and take some time to visit the other bloggers below who are part of this stitch-along. There is a wide variety of stitching projects. These talented stitchers are from all over the world, so please allow for the time differences and check back for each post.

Avis, ClaireGunChristinaKathyMargaret,

HeidiJackieSunnyMeganDeborahSharonDaisy

CathieLindaHelen, MaryMargaretCindy

Thanks for stopping by! 

27 comments:

  1. How upsetting to have the colour bleed on October morning! I’m glad the ice is helping to get rid of the pink. It is a gorgeous piece! Isn’t three boats going to be given to your daughter? Nice to see you getting some stitches added to it. Have a great week! Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see any bleed from your photos - maybe it is one of those cases that you see it as you made it but others won't ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My! What an awful feeling that must have been when you discovered the color had bled. Hope you get it restored to your satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, I had no idea that some flosses bled! I'm glad you're getting it out mostly because that is such a pretty piece. Are you planning to frame it? Enjoy your stitching today, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the salvage on the landscape! I had this happen and the ice water did help get it to the point where I could tolerate the very faint remainder. If you frame right up to the edge of the piece so no background fabric shows, that helps, too.

    Two Boats will be a lovely piece! It's remarkable how much filling in those random stitches does for a full coverage piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will either frame up to my initials and date or add a matte up to there.

      Delete
  6. such a beautiful finish--awwww how terrible to have that maroon thread bleed like that!! Hope you can get the spots out as this is such a lovely piece...good luck hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice has been working. There is just a little tinge of pink that I can see. Hubby thinks it is fine.

      Delete
  7. I just watched Vonna Pfeiffer's floss tube this week and someone had recommended to her something found on Amazon that should help. You might want to watch her you tube video to find out what it is. This is made specifically for this type of bleeding problem. That piece is lovely and I would not want to have it ruined after all that work either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the information. So far the ice has been working just fine. I lay it on the piece with a color catcher below and the pink magically fades away.

      Delete
  8. Oh no how disappointing! Especially after all that work. I hope the ice works. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am truly amazed at how well the ice has been working in a short time.

      Delete
    2. Oh Cathie , I am sorry but it still looks beautiful.
      Don't give up things happen , I love it.
      Enjoy your week hugs June.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the happy dance and drat for the colours running.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think I have the color bleed under control.

      Delete
  10. Oh no!! After all that lovely stitching to have it bleed is terribly disappointing. But, it sounds as if you are rectifying the problem with ice. October Morning is beautiful and will look wonderful when framed. Enjoy stitching your Three Boats today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Cathie: Congratulations on the finish, I hope you can get the glue off, it can be a task to do so, I have had that same problem. I have never heard of the ice trick, thank-you for the tip.
    Nice progress on the Three Boats, I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. How frustrating to see that floss bleed! I do hope you are able to clean it up so its not noticeable. I love the boats picture, and many of us have really LOOOOONG projects!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Grrrr! Reds are terrible for bleeding and fading! I'm so pleased you're managing to fix it after all your dedication and determination to finish. Enjoy your well deserved Happy Dance. I do remember the boats project but would never have guessed it was so long since we'd seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. doesn't that tick you off? I once washed a finished crossstitch pattern and the red bled. I think I was crazy and tried using oxiclean. I got it to fade but I could still see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a lovely finish, glad the ice is working, scary after all that work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy dancing along with you on this finish. Grrrr on the bleed but thrilled the ice is working. It's going to look fabulous framed. Its such a gorgeous make :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That anonymous just entered was me - Sharon Happy dancing along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon happily the ice and the Goo Gone are doing the clean up jobs.

      Delete
  18. Oh my how upsetting for that to happen. I know my Wildlife could do with a wash but it was an Anchor kit and I do not know if there threads are colourfast (I usually use DMC because I know they are. So I maybe calling for your hints and tips soon. I loved boats when you were doing it before so I for one am looking forward to seeing that grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.