Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Organizing?

Typically, January is the month for organizing your home. Many magazines, blogs and instagram posts are currently touting how to purge and organize. Since my basement currently looks like a storage facility and is making it difficult to comfortably craft, I decided that I had to start making a dent somewhere. I am taking the approach that if we were to sell our house and move, what would I really want to pack. 

I started with my clothes closet. I share a walkin in closet with Hubby and we keep it very neat, but there were items in there that I no longer wore or used. I got rid of a few tops that I can't remember wearing in the last 5 or so years. I put aside for donation a few purses that I no longer use (although I have tried to in the past year) as they no longer fit my needs. I threw out a set of queen sized flannel sheets that we haven't used since we remodeled our home 20 years ago. Yes, 20 years. One of the pillowcases had been tossed long ago and the sheets had yellowed badly. I should probably throw out the other set I have, but I remember Hurricane Sandy when we lost power for over a week and needed those sheets and many blankets at night when it was 45 degrees outside. There really wasn't a whole lot more that I got rid of, but there is a little more room on the shelves now and they look neater.

I have been looking around my house at my collections and knick-knacks and realizing that I just don't love some of them anymore. When we were first married, I loved the color lavender and collected lavender Wedgewood pieces. The only lavender room in our house now is our first floor powder room and I would like to change that sometime. The Wedgewood stands out like a sore thumb no matter where I put it. 

The pitcher on the right was a gift from my son when he visited Croatia. I will keep that out somewhere. I am thinking of storing the Wedgewood away for a while just to be sure that I no longer want it.

I moved on to the guest bathroom on our second floor and found several expired items in the vanity and medicine cabinet. There were 3 cans of shaving cream that my son used to use when he lived at home over 10 years ago. I will restock with the essentials the next time I go grocery shopping, but this is now up to date.

My kitchen is in pretty good shape, but there are items that I have forgotten about and/or no longer use or care to use. I have set a few aside for donation. I was also unhappy with the way the open shelf on my corner cabinet was looking. I borrowed a few items from elsewhere in my kitchen and added a candle and I like the look of it now. The little sparrow was one of several ornamental birds that my mom collected.

I mentioned my basement/craft area. This is its current state. 

Yes, that is my sewing machine table at the bottom of the photo below.
These are the shelves holding my craft books and some craft supplies. I have been going through some of the really old magazines. Several of them only have one or two items that I think I might want to try so I am clipping them and putting the rest of the magazine in recycling. Many of the magazines are from the 1990s. I am making room. Any project book that I no longer want is being donated.

There is a wonderful sectional and an old TV with a gaming console that is sometimes still used. It is hiding behind my sewing table in the second photo. We have file cabinets, an old computer desk, my husband's childhood desk, and a keyboard as well as a whole lot of items that were in storage at my mom's house and a bunch of items we inherited from relatives. The number of photo albums that we have is sinful, but it is hard to let them go. I also have photo slides from my mom, but I think there are physical photos of all of them. My job today will be to see if I can match each slide to a photo and cull what I can.  

One thing that I removed from my basement were my cookie cutters. 


Don't ask me why I stored them there, I couldn't tell you. I took my mom's cookie jar that I have always loved with the plan to use it when I made cookies. It is a classic 1950/60s cookie jar. 

Unfortunately, the inside looks like this.

I really don't want to store cookies in it. The light bulb went off and I decided to store my cookie cutters in it. I sorted them all and put aside some for donation that I will never use. All my cookie cutters except for 4 gingerbread people cutters fit in the jar. I put those in a Christmas Cookie tin. Now my cookie cutters are conveniently stored in the kitchen and I can still enjoy the cookie jar.

I have already filled the empty small plastic bin with thread spools that came from my mom and MIL. It is filled to the brim with mostly polyester thread. Not sure I will ever use it so some of them may be donated also. 

As you can tell, my organizing will probably last most of the year, though I would like to have a garage sale in the Spring.....I think. It is a lot of work and I am not sure I really want to do it. Alternatively, everything that is in good condition will be donated to a local thrift store.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

9 comments:

  1. You can try cleaning the cookie jar with boiling water and baking soda. I had to clean a coated cast iron pot my mother had and it worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mother's cookie jar,good idea to store the cookie cutters in it. I need to organize my craft room too,but the arthritic in my hands seems to be getting in the way right now. It is even hard to type. Big hugs Lynda Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hate when my arthritis acts up in my hands. Organizing the craft room seems like an endless task.

      Delete
  3. Good for you…purging and going through stuff is not fun but definitely necessary. I have been doing the same thing at our house. I took all my old quilting magazines to a guild meeting and put them out. They were all home by the end of the meeting. Lots of stuff being donated. Why do we keep so much??? Great idea to keep your cookie cutters in the cookie jar! Gail at the Cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was fun reading your post today as I have had the same goal to downsize and declutter. I did exactly the same thing with my cookie cutters and have mine stored in my late mother-in-law's old cookie jar. My sewing room is in the converted attached garage and while it's pretty organized, it seems to be overflowing with fabric and even some cross stitch I last worked on in maybe 1987! I could go on and on but just wanted to tell you that you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad that we save so much that no one will want in the end.

      Delete
  5. wow! I'm impressed! I only declutter when I am moving, lol. I got rid of so much stuff when we moved here and I could go through each room and get rid of even more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Cathi: I am also purging, it is not an easy task to do, I have lost weight so getting rid of clothing is easy.
    I too have put some of mu collections away, I am not sure if they will go soon or if I will keep them.
    The cookie jar is perfect for the cookie cutters.
    Have a great week.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you starting the decluttering process. It’s time-consuming and emotional. Several youtube videos have been helpful personally. Learned from The Minimal Mom is stuff is ‘inventory’ which needs to be managed. Now I’m managing less.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.