Monday, January 2, 2023

Christmas memories

Christmas on Long Island was quite cold this year. Many days were only around 25 degrees F. Nevertheless, we took advantage of the slightly warmer days to visit some local sights. First, we went on our yearly visit to a local house that goes all out in the decorations department and collects funds for St. Jude Childrens Hospital. Sadly we discovered that this will be the last year that the family will be decorating. Here are a few videos of the many decorations.




As well as a photo of my son and daughter-in-law when they visited on a warmish night.

It was too cold during my daughter's visit to bring my granddaughter to see the house. 

There was also cookie decorating to do.


Even Natalie got into the spirit with a handprint on a Christmas tree cookie.

On Christmas Eve the tree was surrounded by presents.

And the stockings were hung.
We had a very nice Christmas celebration.

Ruby was a little bewildered by all the people.
My mother-in-law got to visit with her great-granddaughter who wore several outfits that day.

It was all topped off by a delicious Christmas dinner.


While she visited, Natalie enjoyed playing on a play mat I found at a local children's thrift store. There is mischief in that face.

We were all supposed to go to Westbury Gardens' Shimmering Solstice on the Friday before Christmas, but rain followed by plummeting temperatures force the venue to cancel that plan. The extreme cold temperatures made it impossible to attend any other night that my daughter-in-law or my daughter and her family were still here. Happily my son stayed a few extra days and we were able to see the event.Thankfully a friend's son was able to use the extra tickets so they didn't go to waste.

Here is a photo tour of the event. This is the view of the side of the mansion as you enter.



You walk on paths through the gardens of the mansion that are lit up with many different styles of lighting. 

That's Hubby walking through the arbor.
I thought the pattern on this lantern was gorgeous! Can't you see that as a quilt stencil?
There were fire pits, heat lamps and benches throughout the walk. There was even a hot chocolate food truck and popcorn cart. The wide hedge lined area below leads you to the mansion. When you arrive at the back of the mansion, there is a light show with music that is projected onto the mansion itself. It was very beautiful.
This is the final display as you leave down the front walkway.


Not everything went smoothly during the holiday season. On the Tuesday after Christmas, soon after my daughter and her family left, I decided to strip the beds and wash sheets, blankets, towels, and table linens as well as our clothing. The first load of wash was in the dryer, the second in the washer when my husband brought down the hamper full of clothes and immediately started yelling for assistance. He was fine, but our sewer line had backed up into our slop sink and overflowed across the basement floor. I don't have to tell you what was in all that mucky water. Thankfully, I think, I had left a big pile of sheets, blankets and towels on the floor and it absorbed a bunch of the water, but the water ran under one wall into the main part of the basement where there is a sectional, rug, television, computer and my sewing area. We used a big pile of scrap towels that we had to absorb the rest. Only the rug and one cardboard box that held my daughter's school keepsakes were ruined.....I was able to empty the box quickly and save the keepsakes...just lost the box. The plumber came within the hour and the sewer line was cleared. Needless to say there was a whole lot more laundry to do once he left and the whole basement tile floor to be washed. I am so glad this happened after most everyone had left and not on Christmas day. 

I hope you enjoyed sharing our Christmas celebrations.

Thanks for stopping by!



6 comments:

  1. Beautiful family photos looks like you had some lovely Christmas fun.
    But oh no ! that was not fun , hope it's all fixed now .
    HAPPY NEW YEAR .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathie!
    Wonderful photos! Sorry about the flood snd all the cleaning afterwards… be glad your floors are tile :)
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. you were lucky on that sewer problem to have happened after the house was empty of guest! That must have been such a chore to clean up.
    The Christmas lights all those decorations outside are so pretty - amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so much fun reading through your post until I came to the nightmare after Christmas :) Glad you were able to save the keepsakes, now that would have been a disaster. I cant remember if I've asked where you are on the Island. I grew up in Wantagh :) (now in WA state)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blessed New Year Cathie: It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas, thank-you for sharing the videos and the Christmas photos.
    I think the design on that lamp is amazing, even if it was stitched in cross stitch but for quilting for sure.
    Natalie is positively adorable, a very sweet face and smile.
    I am so sorry you had a mess to clean up, you are lucky to have a plumber come so fast.
    Have a Blessed 2023
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.