Friday, October 21, 2022

Lots of new crafts

For some reason, finishing the birth announcement triggered a desire to start something new. I didn't start just one new project. Oh no, that would be the most sensible. Nope, I started three new projects! REALLY?! What am I thinking?

Thankfully, one of the projects is already completed. What do you think this is?

Those are a whole lot of individual pieces that become a cute little dog. I have had the directions to make these dogs for many years. I used to sell them at craft fairs. They lured in the little children and then their mom or grandmother would often buy another of my crafts. I found this pattern years ago in a magazine. Don't ask me which one. I forgot how easy it was to crochet and assemble. 

Here is the finished pup just waiting to be adopted by my granddaughter.

So I finished the birth announcement which you can see here. Of course that means that I have to start another cross-stitch project even though I have 2 others already in progress. You may remember that I made my son-in-law a Christmas stocking. You can see that here. I had already chosen a pattern and bought the fabric for a stocking for my daughter-in-law. My son and daughter-in-law will be visiting for Christmas, so I decided that I would try to stitch her stocking to have it ready this year. She is a veterinarian, so this is the stocking I chose to make. It is from the Winter 2015 "Cross-stitch and Needlework" magazine.  

I will have to adjust it somewhat so that I can add her name at the top, but I have plenty of fabric to do so. Below is where I am so far. Trust me that the background fabric is the same light blue as in the photo above. It was dark out and I was using an overhead light when I took the photo.

I want to make a trip to Joann's soon to get backing and lining fabric as I want somethingt o complement the light blue. 

What else did I start you ask? I have been wanting to stitch up some Christmas fabric to make gifts for Christmas. I can't tell you what they will be, but this is where I have started.

Most of those strips of fabric are from a Moda Jelly Roll that my son got me as a gift last year. I had to supplement with a few stash fabrics. I am basically following a Thimbleberries pattern that I have used before, but I may leave out some of the appliqued elements. 

Here are a preliminary layout for the quilty gift.


I have since altered the initial layout to add more variety of fabrics.

I have also been busy baking. It is Autumn, so I had to bake something with pumpkin. I have been collecting recipe clippings for years and years, but I don't always get around to making many of them. I decided to try this one for Pumpkin Bread that came from September/October 1996 Country Woman magazine. Yes, I have been holding on to it for 26 years!


The recipe makes two loaves. I thought they were delicious. I gave one to my mother in law (who thought it was a little heavy), gave half to my mother and kept half for me.


My usual pumpkin bread recipe has raisins in it which I love, but this recipe was moist and delicious.....probably all the eggs and oil. This is not diet food. 

Well that is all for now. My daughter and granddaughter are visiting for the weekend so I have to go enjoy some snuggles. 

I will be joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!







 

18 comments:

  1. Hi Cathie, Very cute crocheted puppy and how wonderful to cross stitch a stocking for DIL. Perfect pattern featuring so many animals too. Are you stitching place mats? I would like to make some of those. Home baked anything is the best esp. a loaf to enjoy with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Cathie how busy are you.
    I love all what you are making, and will enjoying seeing everything growing, in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn’t retirement wonderful?!! Lots of time for hobbies and baby snuggles. I had pumpkin soup when I was out for lunch with a friend yesterday…it is definitely pumpkin season! Great stocking for an animal lover! That puppy is sure cute! She will love it! Gail at the cozy quilter. (Who has not started any Christmas gifts yet…)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathie: You have been very busy, the dog is positively adorable, the stocking is sweet, the Christmas quilt will be beautiful, love pumpkin anything, I like raisins in my breads.
    Have a great weekend

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy! I love the dog :) I believe that retirement is suiting you perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh that will be a lovely and fitting stocking for your DIL....i too have been baking...with lots of time and skyrocketing prices for baked goods etc....i made pumpkin bread as well with the raisins, sliced and put in freezer...it is yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of slicing before freezing. I never remember to do that. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  7. I have held onto some recipes for at least that long. Not sure why. When I want to make something I usually go right to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to go to the computer now also as my clippings are not as organized. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. Little doggie is very cute :) And your cross stitching is so neat, the stocking is going to be amazing.
    I found you whilst blog-hopping, would be great to see you over at mine at emeraldcottage.blogspot.com :)
    Jillxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do keep yourself busy. The little dog is very cute and that stocking will be perfect for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying all the crafting I can accomplish now that I am retired. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  10. Cute little puppy, Cathie. And great start with the cross stitch stockin for your daughter in law and the Christmas project. Thanks for the Pumpkin bread receipe. I am saving this one, Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crocheted dog is so cute! A fun little gift for your granddaughter. Why not start several new projects?! They each look fun and enjoyable to work on. Enjoy your snuggle time today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects, I think I started just as many! The pumpkin bread looks delicious. Enjoy your visit with your daughter and granddaughter. Such special times, I love spending time with family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaah you just can't start one project. You are on a roll and what fabulous projects that you have been working. Gorgeous Christmas fabrics and you are moving right along on the stocking. Thank you so much for the Pumpkin Bread recipe; I think I would like raisins in it as well. I will give it a try. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello cute little doggy! And I'm alway a fan of Christmas sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.