Sunday, October 16, 2022

HQAL update for October - Ideas needed.

I finished quilting the inner border of the Maroon Baby quilt.

I am very happy with how it looks. Some of the blue washaway marking pen still hasn't come out, but I am not worried about that. I can't decide how to stitch the outer border. I had bought a stencil that I thought would work, but no matter how I try to adjust it, I can't get it to fit nicely without drastically altering the length of each motif. I also have the stencil below.


The motifs are smaller so I think I could more easily make them work along the border. I am seriously thinking of just stitching piano keys or taking a plate and making my own baptist fan type of stencil along the border. I am a former math teacher so that wouldn't be a problem, but then I would have to figure out something for the corner stones.

 Does anyone have any recommendations?

The HQAL is an opportunity for hand quilters to share and motivate each other. The talented quilters below post every three weeks to show our progress and encourage one another. Stop by their sites to see what they are working on. If you have a hand project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Cathie 


Thanks for stopping by!

 

19 comments:

  1. Love the baby blanket.
    You have so much talent, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the quilting so far!!! I am not a very experienced hand quilter so I am not much use to you for this border pattern. Perhaps some of the experienced hand quilters will be able to help you. Enjoy your day! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Baptist fan always makes a great border. I would add the fans in the cornerstones. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hand quilting is beautiful. I LOVE quilt math too. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt is looking lovely, sorry I can't help you with the border pattern, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is gorgeous. Can't wait to see how you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Cathie: It is a beauty of a quilt, not sure what I would do about the border, I hope it works out for you.
    It is always a pleasure to see what you are working on.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hand quilting, I’ve no idea what to put in the borders but I like the idea of using a plate to form a pattern! I’ve just seen the photo of your gorgeous granddaughter and the beautiful birth announcement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will figure that border out. I am glad you like the birth announcement.

      Delete
  9. So pretty! Pinterest is always a good source of ideas for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no suggestions because I only hand quilt once in a blue moon. I get ideas off of Pinterest too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love want you have quilted so far, Pinterest definitely has ideas to get you going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find some ideas on Pinterest, then I made up my own pattern. Thanks for visiting, Cathie

      Delete
  12. I love the muted colors of this quilt, it looks so little house on the prairie to me. remind me - it's for a girl? I might try free hand hearts and it wouldn't matter if they weren't all symmetrical, it would give it that old time prairie feel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quilt has no recipient. My mother hand pieced it and then didn't like it. I decided to hand quilt it. I will use it as a quilt when my granddaughter and any future grandchildren visit. I like the idea of hearts. I looked online and found some other ideas too. I might add diamonds. But hearts.....hmmm.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.