Sunday, March 20, 2022

Memories

I mentioned last week that we are becoming grandparents. Now, 19 years ago we totally renovated our Cape Cod style house and turned it into a full two-story Colonial. We had to empty out all the storage containers that were in the basement and the eaves. Most of those storage containers ended up in my mother's unfinished basement. Some are still there. Now that my daughter is expecting, I decided to go through some of those that I know contain old baby clothes. There is a box of baby girl clothes (including some of my own baby items - I am amazed they are still in decent shape), a box of baby boy clothes and one full of just handmade items. I thought I would share a few of these items with you every so often. 

First, here is an outfit that was mine oh so many years ago.


The baby shoes on the left were my daughter's, on the right mine.


This is a dress that I crocheted for my daughter. Unfortunately, she was born in January and her daughter is due in August so it is doubtful that this will ever fit her baby. I can see that it is a little stained around the neckline.

The sweater and hat set below was mine. I don't know who made it for me and my mom no longer remembers. It is wool and quite densely knit. 

As for my own crafting, I have been adding many, many white stitches to the Santa stocking. The pompom on his hat is now filled in as is some of his beard.

You may just be able to see where the white has been filled in as it has a creamy color to it rather than the bright white of the Aida cloth. 

I am adding the final few rows on the Baby Elephant Blanket. I am on the 2nd of 4 pink rows and then it will be done. 

I usually work on this when visiting my mother, but that is now causing her to be more confused. She thinks I am having a baby. I think I will start hand quilting when I am with her. Years ago she made this pink crib sized quilt, but never finished it. I started quilting it a while back.

 It will be mindless stitching when I visit her and I can tell her that I just want to finish a quilt that she started. I need to look for some stencils for the borders and corner squares. The middle is just cross-hatching.

By the way, much of the marking was done with a No. 2 pencil. Does anyone know how I can remove the pencil markings once the quilt is finished? It is fairly light, but still. I will use quilt marker for the stencils.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Sit down with a cup of tea or coffee and pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. Wow Cathie what beautiful baby cloths .
    Santa is coming along , and the Ele blanket.
    Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across some baby items recently when cleaning up our storage area. A flood of memories came back…who made the items and when they were worn. I’m sure you experienced the same thing. You sure have added a lot of white to Santa this week! Where are the beads going? Such a cute blanket for the baby! Enjoy your hand quilting project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Cathie, so precious memories and beautiful baby cloths. The baby quilt your mother made will be even more special by you hand quilting it.
    The elephant blanket is almost finished and it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing that you still have some of your baby clothes wow, when my kids were babies each item got passed down from one to the next and after having four thy were too worn to keep. All your projects are looking lovely. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie: Fun post, love seeing the baby clothing from years ago, so sweet, you are so lucky to have kept them in such good condition.
    Santa is almost done yahoo.
    The baby blanket is adorable.
    The hand quilting gives a quilt that special touch, the colors are pretty and soft looking.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never use pencil to mark a quilt because of the problem of removing the lines - the blue wash out pen works really well on most quilts and seeing as I always wash my quilts it has never been a problem but the one time I used pencil I so regretted it as I never could get the lines out. The baby clothes are precious maybe she will be able to use a little here and there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fun to reminisce while going through saved baby clothes. Understandable that your mom could get confused on who's having the baby - at least she thinks you are still young. Baby elephant is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting for you! I hope your daughter is keeping well? Lovely to see those baby clothes. Your elephant blanket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such treasured memories! I say, put the new baby in that aqua dress whenever it fits. Take a photo. It won’t matter if it fits in October or February or when. What size do you think it is? Love the elephant blanket! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to have these family heirlooms!
    I would think that a #2 pencil should come out in the wash but you never know with pencil lines (or any markers on fabric). If not it is a tribute to the fact that this is a vintage piece finished over 2 different generations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice assortment of baby clothes. I have a few things of mine, but I gave my daughters theirs already. The baby elephant is so cute. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always use a HB pencil to mark my quilts, but I wash them when they are finished and the pencil comes out. Just make sure you use the pencil lightly and don't grind the lead into the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pencil marks are very light and are mostly getting covered by the quilting. I will try washing when the quilt is finished.

      Delete
  13. Sewline makes a white eraser for #2 pencil removal and there is a spray remover if you care to spritz it and scrub with a soft toothbrush… otherwise I just wash something like that once all finished with a towel or 2 and regular detergent and let it soak a while too then it is gone when it rinses an extra time for me… I love all the baby clothes you found ! I am glad you have almost finished the elephant afghan… sorry your mom is getting more confused of late! Santa looks stellar!!!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard when your mom no longer remembers and gets easily confused. I'm living with that, too. The baby clothes are so fun to see, and sounds perfect to finish up a baby quilt that your daughter could use. Enjoy your stitching today, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Going through the old things brings back so many fun memories. Your elephant blanket is darling. I hope your mom enjoys you finishing her quilt for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by some of the items that I saved, but the memories were wonderful. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  16. I enjoyed seeing those baby clothes from years gone by, thanks so much for sharing. Sadly I have nothing from my own children, I used to pass on any good stuff to my sister. How wonderful that your Mother kept your baby items. Sorry to read that she is having memory problems, but it is nice that you are now working on one of her projects that had been put aside

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun to look back at the sweet baby clothes and eeeh those baby shoes- too cute!!!! Your little elephant blankie is looking fabulous. I just love it's expression. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so excited for you! Our grandson wore the baptismal outfit my mother made for my children, she would have loved that immensely :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's amazing that you have all those old baby items from so many years ago. Cute little crocheted dress. Perhaps it can used as a top with little leggings? The Santa is looking better each time, you're getting close; and the elephant blanket is beyond adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like Santa. I am almost finished with the elephant blanket. There are certain items that I have stored as keepsakes that are really precious to me. Hopefully my daughter will appreciate them.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.