Wednesday, September 6, 2023

That nasty stitching frog has been visiting!

My goodness I have been doing an awful lot of frogging. First I started my grandson's Christmas stocking this week. The center is the little boy's head. I happily stitched away on the first two colors that were just fine. Then I got to the third color. Ugh, the color that was supplied was more brown than a darker flesh color and it looked like the little boy had a dirty nape and jawline. I checked the provided color and it was not even close to the stated DMC 3778 color. So I went to may stash and found the correct color. This looked a little dark also, but I decided to give it a try. Okay, it still looked dark and quite pink, but maybe it would be better once I added the brown hair. Nope, it was impossible to tell the line between the face and the hair. Double Ugh! Now I go back to my bobbin stash and try to find a color that I think will work better. As I am perusing my flosses, I realize that the first face color is not anywhere closs to the DMC 758 that it is supposed to be, it is much closer to DMC 752. Okay, what if I use DMC 758 that is a darker version of 752. Bingo! I removed all the pink stitches and stitched that area for the third time.

Now I had to go to the chart pages and make notes as to what color I thought was being used and what color I now substituted. A whole lot of work for the start of a new project. I am happy with how the boy's face looks now and will continue with the hair. I hope the rest of the colors are true to form. I am afraid to check.

I have a finish! The first Charmed Santa from Mill Hill is finished! This one is for my granddaughter.

Of course, I had to immediately start the one I want to make for my grandson.This is when that frog made another visit. I have stitched the first row three times.

 For some reason accurate counting eluded me.

Finally, I decided to finish the table topper that my mom had hand-pieced several years ago as it has some Fall colors. You may recall that I was hand-quilting it while I was visiting her. It has been sitting unfinished in my sewing area and I had to move it a few times lately. I saw it when I went to work on my daughter's quilt (that didn't happen) and decided to get it finished. First I had to find a fabric to use for binding. Thankfully, Mom had some 2" folded strips of the orange fabric. I think she used it to bind another quilt at some time. There was just enough when I pieced it together to get around the table topper. It is 18" per side.

Guess what, that frog visited again. For some reason, despite refreshing my memory by reading some instructions, I didn't sew the corners correctly to miter them. After I had the whole binding sewn on, I had to use the seam ripper to take out the corners and restitch them. All is well now.

I have decided to call this Celtic Autumn as my mom had made it with a nod to her Irish heritage....the green, white and orange of the flag. She had even added some shamrocks in the corners, but they were too small and she didn't like them. One reason she never finished it.  I quilted the center as a nod to a Celtic knot. I plan to use it as an Autumn table topper, hence the name. 

Let's hope that nasty stitching frog stays away for a while. 

Thanks for stopping by! 

13 comments:

  1. I hate when mistakes happen and you spend more time taking things apart then showing progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be wearing out your seam ripper with all that frogging! I’m glad that it’s all behind you now and hope you won’t have to frog again for a long while. The stocking is such a cute pattern. The beaded Santa ornaments will make wonderful keepsakes. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You’ve had your share of that evil frog. I hope things go better from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your projects Cathie! The finished Santa is awesome… I have a Mill Hill kit to make… I love your autumn Celtic table topper! Sorry the frog had to come out so often!!!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. out of all the frogging I've done in my life, I dislike cross stitch frogging the most. Well you get to enjoy the project another time around, right??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finding the right colour for faces is a bit of a challenge in cross stitching and needlepoint I always find and it seems a crucial point. So kudos for working that out. It will be lovely. All these things are so worth the effort and will be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very frustrating to have to frog things but your finishes are wonderful. Love the Celtic knot you stitched in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are frustrating moments when everything seems to be going wrong! Especially with the colors of floss in the kit being so off - someone wasn't paying attention when they put it together. The boy's face looks good now, though. And the Santa ornaments are lovely! Are they done on a special type of fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness how frustrating for you. But you would never have been happy with his face! It sounds like you’ve had lots of seam ripper use lately. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I definitely would not have been happy with the provided floss or the stated color. I am much happier now.

      Delete
  10. Hopefully you have banished that frog from your home, he is such a time waster!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have done an awful lot of frog stitching this week, plus I did a bunch of miscuts of fabric. I love your Charmed Santa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.