Thursday, July 13, 2023

My world has changed

My world has changed. My cherished 96 year old mother has passed away. After quite a long battle with dementia, a-Fib and congestive heart failure, my mother left this world on my husband and my 38th wedding anniversary. Hubby and I went out to dinner and I had just gone to bed when I got the call. She had been bedridden for 21 months. It is a blessing that she passed. She had been existing, not living.


I have many, many years of happy memories. My mother raised me alone as my father died when I was a toddler.
 She also supported her mother until she died when I was in college. My mom took us on trips to Williamsburg, VA almost evey summer. She drove us to a vacation at Walt Disney World the first year it opened. She was hard working and independent. 
She walked me down the aisle when I married my Hubby.

My mom was an avid gardener. She loved rose bushes, perennials and "snowball bushes" (hydrangea). Her yard had several hydrangeas, azaleas, astilbe, and cone flowers as well as many others. 

Mom loved Nicolas Sparks books. I think she had almost every one of them. In the past few years though she bought them, but was unable to read them as she couldn't follow the story or remember the characters. Growing up she completed puzzles with me and played board games. Many of those board games she played with her grandchildren also.

In her retirement, she babysat my children and often went shopping with us. Every other week we had Sunday dinner with her for many, many years.

 She went on several bus trips with a cousin and some girl friends. Some of the places they went to were Maine, Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. They had loads of fun and lots of laughs.

 She also learned to quilt through a church group run by resident nuns. She hand sewed and quilted all of her projects.
These are some blocks from her Sunbonnet Sue quilt.



You may remember that I finished quilting the pink baby quilt.
I still need to quilt the Overall Sam quilt that she made.
Mom made several table runners and a set of placemats.

 She knitted an afghan for each of my children and a sweater for me. This was the afghan she knitted for my daughter.
She won a blue ribbon at the local fair for an Irish knit afgan that she made for herself.

 She was taught to knit in the back of every stitch, so it was a challenge for me to help if she made a mistake. She often knit preemie hats that were donated to hospitals through our church.

Every Christmas she made stuffed clam appetizers from a recipe that I still use. She also made her mother's Sour Cream Coffee cake and Yorkshire pudding. She wasn't known for her cooking, but she served us a good dinner each and every night. Sometimes when she came home from work she enjoyed a Manhattan cocktail made with Jack Daniels. 

I miss my mom terribly as we hadn't been able to do much together since before the pandemic. I have been grieving the loss of our outings together for quite some time.

As an only child, I now have the task of clearing out and selling her home as well as all the other miscellaneous tasks that come with a passing. 

Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers. 

Thanks for stopping by!


 


23 comments:

  1. i grieve with you and i am so sorry for your loss ... my mom died in July 2012, just sixteen days after Sam was born, and i was torn apart by feeling relief that her misery was ended and sadness that i would never hold her hand again and loneliness because she had been my partner in crime ... grief is a hard row to how - it still is eleven years later ... i will hold you and yours in the Light...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful life your mother lived. May she rest in peace .My prayers are with you and your family. Big hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. She was crafty too! So many happy memories of time spent together. Sending a hug to you as you remember and celebrate her life. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry for your loss--losing a parent at any age is hard--and sad but I also know what you feel afterwards when you know your love one suffered--sending hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you are going through this loss, I know you have mentioned how she had dementia and was getting worse through the last couple years. It is a hard time to go through and with no siblings I think it might make it harder. I lost my mom almost 9 years ago and still think of her a lot and talk of memories with her with my oldest daughter who was quite close to her. Hang on to the memories and happy times they will get you through this

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you healing thoughts right now Cathie... and Scott too because he will help and support you during this time I am sure! What a wonderful celebration of a hard working mama of yours and all she added to the lives she touched!
    Thanks for sharing this! Kathi

    ReplyDelete

  7. Sending you good thoughts and prayers. As an only child myself, and having gone through this sad time 7 years ago now--I can totally empathize with your heartaches...It is just so tough losing a Mom--I hope your happy memories will warm your heart...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for the loss of this wonderful mother and woman. I got a tear in my eyes reading about her. She sounds like such a dear and how wonderful you two were so close. You have such wonderful memories. Thanks for including the photos too. My own mother also was bedridden the last two years of her life and it was not good either. I felt as well that she needed to be released as much as we mourned for her. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please continue to remember how blessed you are to have had a mother so wonderful and with you for so long, you also must have been a very cherished daughter to have such a good relationship with her, each enriched the life of the other. I'm a Christian and firmly believe in the Bible's message at John 5v28,29 so I do hope this brings you comfort at this sad time. Elaine in UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words. I too am a Christian. Your bible reference was appreciated.

      Delete
  10. God bless your mother and may she rest in peace. I will keep you and my family in my prayers as you miss your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to a very special mother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. It sounds like you have many happy memories of her. May you find peace in these lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely tribute to your mother. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a lovely tribute to your mom. She was a strong woman! Praying for you as you deal with everything. My sis and I are in the midst of that too, I am fortunate to have a sibling. Praying that your hubby and kids can provide the love and support you need!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely tribute go your very special Mum. Sending my condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathie, your beautiful tribute of your beloved mother speaks volumes of a life well lived; with strength, determination, grace, joy, dignity........so much love for her family. She sounds like she was a wonderful daughter, mother, mother-in-law and grandmother. May the treasure chest of memories you have of your mom sustain and comfort you through the difficult days ahead doing what needs to be done. Praying God's strength and comfort will bless you at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cathie: This is a beautiful tribute to your Mother, I am sure she is enjoying your place with the Lord.


    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cathie , I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. She sounds like an amazing and strong woman. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.