Sunday, June 5, 2022

Stitch along update ..... More metallic stitching

 There may only be one more Stitch Along update on Santa. I am hoping that in three weeks I can do a happy dance that all the stitching is complete. This is how the Winking Santa stocking looked three weeks ago.


I have since completed all of the cross-stitching and am now adding the bling and backstitching. Here is where I was on Friday. I had added all the beads to the furry brim of Santa's hat and outlined his face and mustache.

This is where I am as of yesterday.

 I was muttering a few choice words when adding the metallic backstitching to the bow. I also had to search my stash for some extra metallic thread as what was provided ran out due to the constant shredding. Yes, I used short strands and also ran the floss through bees wax. There is only one little bit of metallic stitching left where the ribbon goes down the gift box below the gift tag. I think I will have just enough gold metallic floss to finish it. I still have some black backstitching to complete on the rest of the stocking as well as more beads, but it is all going quite quickly. I can't wait to show you a finish and what I will be working on next!

Thank you to Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea for hosting this Stitch Along every three weeks and sending us the needed posting reminders. 

Grab yourself a cup of coffee or tea and take some time to visit the other talented bloggers below who are part of this stitch-along. There is a wide variety of stitching projects. These talented stitchers are from all over the world so please allow for the time differences and check back for each post. 

AvisClaireGunConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaret,

 CindyHeidiJackie, SunnyMegan, Deborah, 

 SharonDaisyAJ, CathieLindaHelen, Connie

Thanks for stopping by!

29 comments:

  1. Your almost there , Oh I will miss Santa .
    You have done a fab job ,
    Enjoy your day. hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, will miss your cheery Santa when you have finished stitching him. The black back stitching really adds another lovely dimension to all the cross stitches. I love it. As for the metallic thread; it always seems to be problematic. The metallic backstitches look fabulous, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This stocking is gorgeous! Those beads and all that painful metallic thread stitching will be worth it in the end. Santa looks so handsome with these finishing touches! Looking forward to seeing the finished stocking as well as whatever you are going to work on next. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bling on his hat is gorgeous and metallic thread is a pain to work with but so worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Santa looks fantastic! His cheeks make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure what happened to my first comment, but I love this Santa piece, especially his cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how your Santa is finishing!!! The fine details are amazing tho you may be using choice words! It is worth the strife with the glittery thread!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the the beads and metallic details added to Santa really make him sparkle! Have you made a special stocking like this for every family member, Cathie? What heirlooms those will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Santa is looking great and almost done - you will have it for Xmas for sure

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are getting so close! I am excited for your happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I added more backstitching this morning. Getting closer to finishing.

      Delete
  11. The addition of the metallic threads really does add texture to the stitching. You probably won't want to stitch anything with metallics for a long time!! Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great progress! Metallic thread causes me fits too. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've used metallic threads once and that was enough. However, the metallics and beads make such a difference and I know they'll look even better in real life. I'm looking forward to seeing the finish next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second time using metallics. I will be more careful when choosing kits/patterns in the future to try to avoid them.

      Delete
  14. The finishing touches are looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Santa is looking great! Metallic threads isn´t my favorite threads either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I know that most of us would rather avoid the metallic threads.

      Delete
  16. lol I do more than mutter when working with metallic thread! You've made fabulous progress on Santa. So looking forward to your happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do a lot more than mutter, but it isn't really in my nature. LOL

      Delete
  17. he looks fantastic! I'm not a fan of metallic stitching either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So close to a finish and your Santa is wonderful! Hoping the last of the metallic thread is a bit easier. In the end I am sure it will have been worth the hassle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be worth the hassle, but I don't have to like it. LOL

      Delete
  19. Oooh goodie !!! It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm a sucker for bling/metallics but can totally understand the frustration behind it, I think it's takes practice although it's always tedious. People probably think I'm crazy but I tend to deliberately pick designs with metallics and beads because I love the texture they add. If you ever have to add metallics again I might suggest you look up how to do couching method instead of backstitching. I find it looks nicer and is easier to control by using a matching cotton thread to lay it down instead of threading the metallic through the Aida .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind stitching the beads at all. I actually think they go quite quickly. I will keep the couching idea in mind. I've done it before with other threads, but never thought of it for this project. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  20. I remember when Santa was just a small patch of face - almost not recognizable! And now to be so close to finished! Great Job. Elaine, Mynext20yearsofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems so long ago that I began Santa. I will miss working on him, but I will be glad when he is done so I can start something new.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.