Sunday, June 19, 2022

Two finishes and Father's day

Today is Father's day here in the US. I am forever grateful to have shared parenting with my hubby. He has been and still is a wonderful husband, father and father-in-law. I can't wait to watch him take on the roll of grandfather.

I have two finishes to show you today....and two new items to start.

First and foremost I finished the stitching on the Winking Santa Stocking. I love how he looks!

I still have to make it into a stocking, but I will do that once my summer vacation starts at the end of this coming week. I want to buy some lightweight fusible web to put on the back of the stitching. I also have to choose a fabric for the back of the stocking as I don't like what was provided with the kit at all.

I also finished the embroidered kitty bib.

Please excuse the wrinkles. Isn't this kitty adorable? I have to wash it as an old tag has left a glue mark near the bottom. I really don't mind if it doesn't come out as this is a bib to be used and will probably get stained. 

Hubby and I have been enjoying trips to the beach at night. Jones Beach is a state park that is free after 6pm.

This is a view of the water tower and the Wild Play zipline and aerial adventure park.
Listen to the waves crashing on the shore.

It is so peaceful.
Another evening we went to TOBAY beach. (Town of Oyster Bay)
This is the bay side.
The paddleboarders were accompanying a large group of swimmers.
We went the ocean beach side of TOBAY on Friday night when the temps during the day were in the high 80s.
You can just barely see a container ships on the horizon. This is looking southeast, but to the southwest I could count at least 13 other container ships all waiting to dock in NY. It is easy to understand part of the supply chain problems when you see all these ships.
Some of my flowers have really bloomed beautifully this year. Look at these tiger lilies!

This is a new perennial I bought this year called Betony. I love it!
One of my lavender plants is getting in on the blooming also.
I do love purple flowers. 
My mother's astilbe are going strong. I took this photo to show her.
Now let me tell what stitching I may be working on today.
I want to start a baby announcement that I purchased.
I bought the suggested 28 count fabric, but I still have to check whether I have all the flosses. I am sure I have most of them. I may have to purchase a few.
I also want to start working on larger bib. 

This will be my last week of school/sitting with my mom project. I do want to finish it by mid-July though as that is when my daughter's baby shower is. Once again there is a glue stain on the bottom where the original sticker was affixed in the 1950s or 60s. I have the flosses chosen for this and am looking forward to working on it.

I also want to share with you a gift that my son bought for me when he was on his honeymoon in Hawaii.

He found a needlework shop and bought me this baby announcement pattern. Can you believe he stopped in a needlework shop on his honeymoon? He said it was also a quilt shop that had a lot of applique patterns and the owner was impressed that he knew what he was talking about. I love that guy! You know that whenever he and his wife are expecting, I will start stitching this pattern immediately.....or maybe sooner if I ever have a stitching lull. LOL

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I think I will determine what flosses I need for the baby announcement, iron the fabric and affix it to my scroll frame. I might put some stitches in October Morning also.

Thanks for stopping by!











27 comments:

  1. You finished it all well done . I love all your stitching .
    Great photos and lovely post today .
    Have fun with your new products .
    Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely and sentimental projects...more beach photos always welcome....sigh...i miss the northeast coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the beach during the day....too hot for me, but I do like it in the evening. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. I planted lavender rather late in the spring and it is not doing well at all and it looks like it is dying - and now with extreme heat in the forecast for the rest of the month it will probably die. I was so nice to see the Santa done with the stitching and now ready to be turned into a sock - looking forward to see that - a beach walk in the evening is perfect!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the two finishes, I love Santa and you are right that kitty is so adorable. Your son has great taste what a fabulous gift. Enjoy your Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely beach photos. There is something about being near the water. I agree, why worry about an sticker adhesive spot on a bib which may or may not soak out. That’s something about your son visiting a needlework/sewing shop. It’ll be a long time before you have a stitching lull. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the Kitty came out darling! The Lamb is precious too. That will be so cute when you stitch it!
    I like the beach at night too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Cathie... what a full blog post you had today... try alcohol or nail polish remover gently to remove that discoloration... I have heard the later is for sure a good solution.
    I use SF101 for fusible it is a woven interfacing if that is what you are looking for and I think santa would want drape and not stiffness from a non fusible... just my thoughts though.... I would love it if you shared how you plan to make this into a stocking from here.... I have a cross stitch from my daughter I would like to make into a cushion and could use some of your wise guidance :)
    I love the photos of the bay... your garden and all the flowers in your yard you shared... your upcoming projects are awesome! Glad your son took time to visit some shops that would interest you... bet it won't be long before you will be stitching things for their baby to be too!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah!!! Congrats on these 2 Beautiful finishes. Santa is now on all its splendor, and I am sure you will find the perfect fabric for finishing it. I love your beach photos. Oh who I wish to be near the shore. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting here with my coffee this morning and so enjoyed reading your post. It is Father's Day here in Canada too and what a lovely portrait of hubby you have there. Lots of wonderful cross stitching and plans too. Yes your son is definitely special to hit a needlework shop and shop for Mom like that. The beach walks look heavenly. Enjoy it all!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Santa turned out wonderfully, Cathie! I loved your photos of the beach areas you visited. That is my favorite thing to do, so we always plan trips to one coastal spot or another. Not much ocean here in Colorado! Your son's gift from his honeymoon is lovely and thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, well done! The Santa stocking came out especially well. And kudos to your son for the needlework haul! Congratulate him on that (and his marriage LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Santa is gorgeous! And the kitty bib is very cute, the lamb will be too! Lovely photos of your flowers and the beach. Your son really is a star! It will be a lovely sampler to stitch when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great finishes! I hate when they put stickers on the fabric. Love the pictures of the bay! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Santa looks fabulous! With all that stitching, it will be worth buying a backing fabric you love. I have always lined the stockings that I have made …I like the idea of fusible on the back to protect the stitches. Those bibs are stinkin’ cute! Your son knows exactly what you like

    ReplyDelete
  14. Comment was from me. Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both Santa and the bib finished, well done. What a kind son to buy you a special something while on his honeymoon! I'm it sure that my son is at all interested in what I make.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful Cheery Santa looks, finished in all his regalia! He is fabulous, Cathie! The bib is finished, too; you are indeed on a roll. It is so, so cute. Fabulous you will soon be on summer vacation and there will be lots of time to happily stitch away and enjoy walks along the beach. Oh, and the pretty your son gifted for you while he was on his honeymoon is lovely. He is indeed a wonderful son! Hoping your husband enjoyed Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. life is good! Happy Father's day to your husband and I love your stitching projects you have lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on two completed embroideries. The smiling Santa is charming and the kitten is so adorable. Nice to see the nice photos you show.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Santa is just stunning! It looks like you have some fun projects lined up too. That is a good son who would enter a needlework or quilting shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think my son is pretty special.

      Delete
  20. opps! I think I sent through blank comment. Sorry. Still figuring out the best way to communicate. I am going to miss see that amazing Santa project when you finally complete all the final details. It is so beautiful - it should be out all the time - not just at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no blank comment. I have plenty more projects to show and there is another Santa that I could work on also.

      Delete
  21. Hello Cathie: Oh my Santa is amazing and beautiful.
    I wish we had a park close by with a large lake that would be so nice.
    I like the Baby Sampler you will be starting and the gift from your son is wonderful.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cathie, that afghan in your header photo is so lovely! Wow – it’s a treasure to be sure. What sweet words you wrote about your husband! Your Winking Santa looks so huggable! Congratulations on your finish! I’ve enjoyed watching your progress! Your sweet kitty came out beautiful! Love your pics of the beach and flowers! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.