Sunday, June 26, 2022

School's Out!

 My last day of work was Friday. I am off for the Summer.....probably for good. I have been hemming and hawing about whether or not I should stop working. I have a zoom meeting with the teacher's retirement board on Friday. I am not eligible for much of a pension as I took a 25 year hiatus to raise my children. With our first grandchild due at the end of August in another state, I really want the freedom to visit her whenever I feel like and not just squeeze it in on the weekends or school breaks. That 3+ hour drive does not allow for just popping in to visit. I also want to be able to visit my son in California at my leisure. Again, not just on school breaks when everyone else is traveling. 

Yesterday, I took the time to make a few lists. I am a notorius list maker, but doing so usually clears my head somewhat. So what lists did I make? Well, first was a list of household chores that I would like to complete. Some are long term, some for now. Then I made several lists of crafts I want to complete. So there is a cross-stitch list, a quilting list, a knit/crochet list and an "other crafts" list. Let me tell you that each list has at least 10 items on it. I think I need to buy a journal of some type to keep track of all the WIP crafts that I have, all the kits I have, all the crafts that I have already bought the supplies for and all the ones that I have longed to complete in the future. Right now my lists are just on a few pieces of notebook paper that could be easily misplaced. 

The lists did help me realize that I have plenty to look forward to completing. Retirement will mean I can actually have a hope of working on many of the crafts that I long to complete. 

I am currently working on another embroidered bib. This one has an adorable lamb on it. The outline of the lamb is mostly blanket stitch. I am getting better at it stitch by stitch.

I am stitching the outline of the lamb in a light blue and have chosen a pink and a rose for the flowers. The pattern faintly shows two different colors needed for these flowers. I think perhaps they are supposed to be orange and red, but I wanted a more pastel look. Since there are no directions, I am doing my own thing here.

I picked up October Morning again since finishing Santa. You can just see the outline of a mailbox emerging.

My daylilies have started to bloom.


I have a few more astilbe in bloom too.

They are two slightly different colors.
The bowl of begonias that I potted is starting to fill in.

Finally, my coneflower is blooming. Oh how I love its color.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I think I will try to add some more stitches to October morning. 

Thanks for stopping by!




9 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you, Cathie, as you begin this new stage of your life. I hope things can be worked out regarding the teacher's retirement board. How fabulous it will be to visit your daughter, SIL and granddaughter; and your son and his wife whenever you want. Nice to see October Morning again, and the new bib is sweet. Everything seems to be blooming beautifully there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a great stitching on the new bib, Cathie. I would go with pink and roses for the flowers also. Nice to see October Morning coming up and receiving new stitches. I love the colors of the Season. Beautiful flowers on your garden. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Retirement is wonderful! I highly recommend it! I’m sure you will have lots of activities and crafts to fill your days, as well as visits to see your son, daughter and grand baby! I’m also a list maker…keeps me on track. October morning looks great…how big is this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last comment from Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. V-a-c-a-t-i-o-n!! Congratulations on another school year. Oh, go ahead and retire you deserve it. Your time will your own... I'm a retired school bus driver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too recommend retirement! Plenty of time for crafts and visiting! I’m a list maker, but when I start one I always add something that can be ticked off really quickly. Ticks make me happy LOL. Sarah, quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your flowers are so pretty, and it looks like the new bib will be fun to stitch on! As a retired teacher, I can highly recommend retirement, lol! I did the same as you - stayed home with my kids for a long time, and went back to work when they were older. Fortunately it worked out financially. The flexibility for travel, time with family, and more time for the activities we love is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love retirements, and I have enough projects to last until I am 120. And that is a good reason for retirement, the new grandbaby and freedom to visit when you like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are going to love retirement!! I am excited that you will be able to see your kids and your grand whenever you wish!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.