Sunday, July 16, 2017

Embroidery and Cross-stitches

Hubby and I are enjoying the last week of our son's visit before he moves to PA for his new job. I have been shopping with him for furniture and household items for his new apartment.
 I have been trying to spend an hour or two each day on my stitchery. As a result Baker Beach only has 1.5 pages left to be stitched. Yay!!!!!
I have also been working on the Summer of Love Challenge. It is looking exactly as I have planned so far. The 1967 Summer Of Love was according to The San Francisco Oracle:

"A new concept of celebrations beneath the human underground must emerge, become conscious, and be shared, so a revolution can be formed with a renaissance of compassion, awareness, and love and the revelation of unity for all mankind". 

Of course I was too young at the time to really understand the whole thing, but now the idea of "unity for all mankind" really resonates with me so that is what my design stems from. Therefore, my Peace sign will include the words Peace and Love with the COEXIST symbol and the Rainbow Flag. I wanted my Challenge piece to make a statement of some type that is consistent with my contemporary view of the 50th Anniversary of the Summer of Love.
I am hoping to finish the embroidery and incorporate it into a tote bag that I can use.

I finished reading The Quilter's Legacy by Jennifer Chiaverini. This is the 5th book in the Elm Creek Quilt Series and it was just as enjoyable to read as the first 4. There was a hunt for lost quilts along with some family history of the main character. I breezed right through it. 
Now I am reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling. 
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas and she lent it to me to read over the summer. Since she will be visiting next weekend I figured that I would read it this week so that I can return it to her. I will have 5 hours in the car tomorrow for reading and stitching as we help my son bring his new purchases and the rest of his belongings to his apartment and then drive home. He starts his new job on Monday!

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. I will either work on the Summer of Love or a Prairie Schooler Santa. I prefer knit or crochet in the car, but I don't have any WIPs of either right now so I will try to stitch. On Monday I will join the Stitchery Link Party at Super Mom - No Cape. Pop on over to these sites to see what other bloggers are stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Your almost there on Baker Beach!! Great progress! Unity for all Mankind, a goal that seems unattainable in these times but your design for it is great. Congrats on your son starting his new position and hope the move goes well. Mary & RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great job on that cross stitch! The end is near! I hadn't heard anything at all about this being the 50th anniversary of the summer of love; I, too, was too young to really get it in 1967. :) Good luck to your son, and safe journeys getting him there. I popped over from Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your concept for the Summer of Love Challenge, your piece is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have again made so much progress! How fun to help you son wit his new apartment! Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got lots of stitching done this week! I hope the move went smoothly and that your son loves his New job and apartment. I love what you are adding to your summer of love project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so glad you are spending time with him before he moves to PA. I wish him the best of luck with his new job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Baker Beach is just fabulous.

    That is definitely the Summer of Love logo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baker Beach is amazing. Sounds as though you are having a busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really are almost there now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice idea for the Summer of Love piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your concept for the Summer of Love Challenge, your piece is looking great.

    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.