Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Something Old

Cool autumn weather finally blew in to Long Island last night. Since we have had such beautiful warm (hot!) weather recently, I have yet to change the bed linens to their winter counterparts. Thus, last night was a little too chilly for a summer blanket and lightweight coverlet. I did happen to place the large afghan shown below at the foot of the bed a few days ago. So hubby and I pulled it up and it kept us quite warm and toasty all night.
That is a queen-size bed that it is covering. There were a lot of granny-squares to crochet.
 
 
I made this afghan in the 80's. I still have the pattern. It is from the 9/9/86 Woman's Day magazine. It still looks pretty good, doesn't it?
 
I'm joining Ginny's Yarn Along today. What are you knitting/crocheting? What are you reading?
 
Here is the update on the Barn Jacket I am knitting.
 
If you look real close you can see that I bound off for the armhole shaping last night. That took a leap of faith for me as I have yet to really master that skill. I think it went quite well and I'm pleased with the result. Now I have another 9 inches of the back to knit.
I am finally finished reading Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. Although I like the movie, I realize that I just don't like this author's writing style. Not that the book isn't quite interesting but I don't enjoy the reading.
I am so happy to be moving on to Susan Wiggs' The Ocean Between Us. I have yet to find a book of hers that I don't devour. First, I have to renew it at the library though because I got so bogged down by the last book.
 
Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that blanket. I never would have guessed it's from the 80's. I guess good tastes never go out of style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful afghans! There are a lot of squares! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the yarn you are knitting with for the jacket! It's going to be beautiful when it's all done. I have blankets from the 80's as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blanket is just beautiful, and I like how it looks like a quilt pattern. I'd like to know how you make the white and blue triangle squares. I also have an afghan made in 1976 that still looks pretty good. It's made like a grandmothers flower garden quilt with six sided crochet pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an heirloom you have there! And I might have that same issue of Woman's Day lurking about somewhere...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.