Sunday, July 14, 2024

Another finish!

I have finished Overall Sam! Before we went on our California trip, I managed to finish the quilting. This week I looked to see if I had any of the red fabrics from the appliques to use as binding on this quilt. There was just enough of one of them to make the binding. This is all that was left of the red fabric once the binding was attached.

 I made a label and have been sitting in the evenings stitching the binding to the back. I love this quilt. 

I may still want to add another button for the upper left Sam to hold and maybe a hanging sleeve, but I am declaring this quilt finished! 

I did say that I would show you a few photos of our California trip. We were visiting our son, DIL and grandson from the first to the sixth. The weather was sunny and warm while we were there. We all visited the Birch Aquarium one day. This is a fairly small aquarium, but it was perfect for a short outing with a 13 month old. He enjoyed looking at the fish with Grandpa.

There were penguins to see.

This was the view from a little patio area where our grandson ate his lunch. The adults ate later when we returned home.

Our grandson also went to the local kiddie park for the first time and got to have a dip in the pool with his dad at their apartment complex for the first time while we were there.

It is a really pretty pool area. 

We had a wonderful time.

On the 5+ hour plane rides to and from CA, I spent a little time working on this Prairie School Santa. It was a small, easy project to travel with. I made good progress on Santa's coat. There is a lot more red stitching to be done.

Now that July is here, I have started on the two ornaments I want to make for my grandchildren. I had to sort the floss (black is missing) as well as the sequins and beads. I cut out the gingerbread man first and have a small start. 

I have also been working on the Log Cabin Star quilt for my daughter. I am happy to say that all 28 of the "W" border blocks have been completed. 

Next I am working on the 28 "X" blocks. I have the first log sewn together. These blocks are very similar to the "W" blocks except the long and short green logs are reversed. I hope to have them completed by the end of next week. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!


7 comments:

  1. Your Sam quilt is so cute! The red binding finished it off perfectly! Sounds like a wonderful visit with your son and his family in California. Your daughter’s quilt blocks will be done soon and then you can put it all together. Will you take it to a long armer for quilting? Good for you getting a head start on Christmas gifts and projects. I need to figure out what I am making for gifts this year. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo of your grandson with his Dad during his first "dip" in the pool...Great memory shot;)))
    i like your block--so pretty...your Santa sampler is coming along so well..nice to have handwork for long plane flights....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overall Sam is adorable, Cathie - hooray for a finish! So glad to hear you're making such good progress on the Log Cabin Star, too. Your California trip looks like fun - I didn't realize your little guy was a year old already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall Sam is beautiful!! so much work and so much love in each stitch. I'm glad you had a good time visiting your grand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathie: Your Overall Sam quilt is adorable, thank-you for sharing the photos, the penguins are so cute, what a treat for your grandson to visit the aquarium and pool for the first time, that must have been a wonderful treat for grandmother and grandfather to experience.
    Nice progress on the Santa design, I love working with felt, the gingerbread man is so cute.
    The colors in the quilt block are beautiful.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.