Sunday, August 6, 2023

Not ready for Fall

I may be working on October Morning (you can see the latest update here), but I am not ready for all the advertisements and craft posts for Autumn crafts. Yes, I know that I would have to start now in order to have the craft ready for Fall, but I want to enjoy what is left of Summer.

I haven't been doing much crafting at all. Last weekend, we had new carpeting installed in our living room, dining room and connecting hall. That meant that my kitchen table looked like this.


Soon after this photo was taken, all of my dining room chairs were added to surround this table. You can see that we had to empty the china cabinet and the bar pieces. All of the glassware that was in the china cabinet was in dire need of a good wash. My kitchen counter was covered with cloudy glassware. 

I took a few days to carefully wash and dry each piece of glassware. There were also two bowls, a sugar and creamer set as well as some vases. Hubby cleaned all of the glass shelves and the window panes. My china cabinet sparkles now. 

I have been spending many hours at my mother's house going through countless items. I am taking many photos and sending them to my children to see what they want me to keep for them. There are collectibles, linens, games, puzzles and Christmas items that bring back memories. This is just a portion of the keep pile. It has grown since this photo was taken. The desk is the only piece of major furniture that I am keeping. I have loved this desk since the day that my mom bought it. 

I still have to collect my mom's photo albums. There are many of them. She carefully organized and labeled each photo. They start with photos from the early 1900s. There may even be a couple of photos from the 1800s. I forget now.

I have made a few trips to a local thrift store with clothes, accesories, linens and dishes. Her blankets went to a local animal shelter once they were washed. 

Here are a couple of neat items that I found in her house. These two photos are of a 78rpm picture record that I found.


Below is an afghan that my mother knitted several years ago. I don't think she ever used it. It is beautiful.


My children remember playing these games and want me to keep them. They are headed to my house! 

My mother made the pillow top and I finished it into a pillow some years ago. I found it wrapped in plastic on a closet shelf. It now resides in my bedroom.

Her house will be up for sale at the end of next week, so my work will soon be done. We have a local furniture store/mover coming in to take all the furniture. 

Hubby and I took a break on Wednesday and drove to the east end of Long Island for a lunch and a stop at a farmstand. Lunch was at the Red Rooster Bistro.
It is a kitschy little restaurant inside.
Hubby had the tomato and burrata appetizer and I had their Beet Salad with chicken added. 
We stopped at Northville Farms on our way home. We picked up a melon, some vegetables and a bag of North Fork Potato Chips. Yum! 
 I have added a very few rows of knitting on my baby jacket. I have made the buttonholes and am working on the armhole of one of the front pieces.
 Thankfully I am knitting a size that will be good for next year. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are working on.

Thanks for stopping by!




9 comments:

  1. I don't want to think about Autumn , I don't think we had enough summer weather yet ,
    So I started on Christmas stitching ha .
    You brought back a few memories to me .
    When I had to go through my parents house , brought me tears and and happy feeling .
    Have a lovely Sunday, hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have cleaned out three houses and it is not an easy task. So many memories …we laughed, we cried, we remembered. We recently had some work done on our house and can relate to the piles of stuff stored everywhere while the work is being done. Most of it is put away now but there are still piles of my husband’s books on the dining room floor. The goal is to have them back on the bookshelves by tonight. Then, no more house projects for a while!
    Keep knitting when you have a chance! The sweater is coming along. Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning out a house is a very big job, but it sounds as though you are nearly finished. That’s a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel a little sentimental on Sunday mornings and reading your post, Cathie, made me more so. Lovely things and so many memories. You two are doing a great job of cleaning/clearing them out and handling it all with such love and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly have had a busy old time. Moving furniture around in your home to allow the carpet installers go lay your new carpet. Then many hours spent at your Mother's house sorting though everything. So many memories there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've been working hard! That's a beautiful desk and so is the white afghan. I'm not ready for fall either - summer has been short here in Colorado - lots of cool, rainy weather. Hope you had some time to stitch today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have loved to have an organized photo album collection from my mother!! I am the documenter and I wonder if the kids will like that or not?? That china cabinet dishes washing was quite the undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Cathie: It is hard moving items for new flooring we redid all our floors not too long ago it was hard, the feeling is so nice once all is back in order.
    The pillow you did with the quilt block is beautiful, the afghan is stunning what a beautiful design, the games are something i will never get rid of we play games every so often.
    It looks like a fun place to have lunch, and the farm market is my kind of place.
    Beautiful blue jacket, nice progress.

    Hugs
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh it all sounds like very hard work! I love the pillow you made and I Also love that the board games are going to your children now :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.