Sunday, August 27, 2023

A needed break

This past week was spent visiting our son, DIL and grandson in CA. I didn't realize how much I needed to just be away from the usual day to day happenings. We traveled to San Diego on Saturday with Hurricane Hilary in the forecast when we arrived. We took a detour on the way from the airport to a local frame store, The Frame Station, and chose a frame for the birth announcement. The store had sandbags by the door in preparation for the storm.

The bottom left frame was the winner. It should be ready for my son to pick up in 2 weeks. 

 Thankfully the hurricane was just a tropical storm when it hit CA on Sunday and it traveled inland from where we were in Carlsbad. There was only a little bit of wind and around 2.5 inches of rain. We stayed in and enjoyed lots of cuddles with our grandson.

On Monday the weather had cleared and we took a walk by the ocean. For some reason, I didn't take any photos. We saw several California ground squirrels and lots of other people walking....many with their dogs.

On Tuesday Hubby and our son got to play golf. When we heard that the hurricane was approaching Hubby was debating whether to bring his golf clubs on the trip. I am so glad he did as they had a good round and gorgeous weather. My daughter in law and I enjoyed a quiet day. I watched Lucas so she could exercise and get some other things done. So much cuteness.

On Wednesday we took a ride to Discovery Lake in nearby San Marcos. 



It was only about a 3/4 mile walk around the lake, but some of the views were very pretty. There is also a 2.8 mile hike, but it wasn't clear whether the trail would be stroller friendly. 

Afterward, the family indulged me with a trip to a local quilt store, Grand Country Quilts

It is actually two storefronts on opposite ends of a parking lot. The first was mostly primitive fabrics. It is really a very welcoming shop.

My son thought it was one of the best shops he had ever visited.
I bought two solids for a hand-pieced quilt that I have planned.

The second shop was for more modern quilts and fabrics.



This shop was bright, open and airy. I bought some novelty fabric that I hope to use in I Spy quilts for my grandchildren. I found hens, toucans, bunnies and adorable hedgehogs.

Both shops had well-attended classes in progress when we visited. I plan on returning to this shop whenever I can on my California visits. It is only a short drive from my son's apartment. 

Now that we are back home in NY I've gotten the crafting bug again. I worked on a crocheted hat for my mother-in-law while on the flight from NY to CA. 

I have made this hat for her previously, but she lost it. Her 90th birthday is this coming Friday, so I hope to have it done by then.

I have also been working on the knitted jacket for Lucas. I am currently working on the second front side. 


I am finally enjoying working on the Charmed Santa Faces ornament for one of our grandkids, not sure which one yet. The cross-stitching was just not laying right as far as I was concerned. I guess the trip to CA made me realize that it doesn't have to be perfect. Yesterday I finished the cross-stitching on Santa's face and started adding the beads.


I hope to finish beading the face today. Then I can move on to stitching the hat. That will be my Slow Sunday Stitching for today. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are working on.

Thanks for stopping by!









11 comments:

  1. What a lovely trip and to see your little GS .
    Love the birth sampler , and the frame you chose .
    How lovely to visit the craft store to.
    Have a fun Sunday , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are working on a very good variety of projects which should not be boring for sure. What a nice visit glad the weather wasn't too bad for you.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little grandguy is adorable, Cathie! Glad you were able to go visit and the weather wasn't too bad. That looks like a really nice quilt shop to visit - it's always fun to bring home fabric souvenirs! Enjoy your knitting and stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucas is a real cutie! It sounds like you had a really great trip. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Cathie: I am so happy the hurricane was a tropical storm, oh my goodness you are right about the cuteness, adorable.
    The Birth Sampler is so sweet, I hope your son lets you post a photo of it framed.
    The quilt shop looks like a lot of fun to explore.
    I like the Mill Hill kits.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great visit with your family. I grew up in Vista and know all those places you were talking about, except the quilt shop wasn't there when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are doing all sorts of things! Glad you had such a nice visit, and that baby is adorable, what a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A visit to family and a trip to a quilting shop, sounds like a great trip to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so happy you were out there to see them and spend time with them! I loved the stores you visited.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaaah Lucas is gorgeous!
    The shops looked great, nothing like a bit of retail therapy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.