Sunday, June 11, 2023

Living on Mars

It has sometimes felt like we are living on the red planet here on Long Island, NY this past week. Or at least the sky has been yellow and orange due to all the wildfires burning in Canada. This is an image from a local newspaper of one of the NYC bridges. 

It hasn't been quite so bad here (our sky has had a yellow tinge), but I have had to forgo my daily walks and most any outdoor activities. The smoke smell makes it feel like you are standing down wind of a bonfire. I feel incredibly sad for those Canadian residents who live near the wildfires and are dealing with not only the smoke but the fire damage.

On the bright side, that means there has been plenty of crafting going on as I am staying indoors on the bad days.  

I am almost finished adding all of the parts to Santa on my granddaughter's stocking. He still needs holly on his hat and his second arm.


I am almost close to finishing the second sleeve of the sweater that I am knitting for my granddaughter.

I like that the sleeves are knitted directly onto the sweater. Once this is completed there are just a couple of side seams to sew up.

I started this little project on Friday.

I am making a little stuffed pup for my grandson.
We will be meeting him soon. I made one of these for my granddaughter so, of course, I had to make one for my grandson. As you can tell from the little balls of yarn, I am using up some scraps.

At the beginning of the week, before all the smoke arrived, Hubby and I decided to walk at Belmont Lake State Park. There was a heron precariously perched on a branch over lake.

There were several dogwood trees in bloom.


I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are up to. I think I will add some pieces to the stocking today.

Thanks for stopping by!



13 comments:

  1. The smoke from the fires has really been awful! It has been very dry and a few days of rain would really help.
    Natalie’s stocking looks better and better every week as you add more pieces. Her sweater is cute too. It will soon be done. I’m sure you can hardly wait to hold your new grandson and deliver your lovingly made gifts to him. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your Sunday , sorry about the bad Air I did see it on TV .
    That stocking is so cute .you are one talented lady .
    Have fun hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made a sweater like that once for one of my daughters, I don't remember though if it was knitting or crochet. The smoke was horrible out there from all the photos I saw - one day my sister in Virginia said the sky had a yellow tint to it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you're dealing with such bad wildfire smoke. It can be really awful here in Colorado at times, too, so I know what it's like. Lots of cute projects going on at your house. That sweater is going to be adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I empathize with you the awful smokey air you are experiencing. We had much of that in California. It is just awful and you're wise to stay indoor. I left Brooklyn last week just in time - they closed LaGuardia airport soon after!
    I love the stocking you are working on. What a treasure it will be. Take care and stay inside!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have friends who flew in during the smoky conditions and they said the landing was quite disconcerting as all they could see was orange until they actually landed. I am glad you got out before the airport was closed.

      Delete
  6. So sorry for the poor air quality. Last year and the year before when California had wildfires our sky looked like that, and it gave me a migraine just stepping outside. The stocking and sweater are both lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, the effect of the wildfires is dreadful. How awful for those who have lost their homes and for all of you who have to stay inside. The Santa is cute; I love the expression on his face. Such a lovely pattern on the sweater. Cables always look lovely. Cute little crochet pup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean by having several "close to finished projects" there are several of those here with me too. I'm sure it wont take too long to crochet the little pup for the baby. Did you know that some firefighters here from New Zealand have traveled to Canada to help with the terrible fires?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can not imagine going outside under those conditions. But thankfully you have some fabulous projects to enjoy indoors. Love the stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope by today ... Wednesday... your air is easier to breath and walking is ok now... I love Santa AND that stocking for Natalie and a fun sweater for her....SEW cute and smart how you are building this! I bet your grand will love his puppy dog made by his Grammy! When do you go to CA? Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was a cartoon about Canada apologizing for the smoke...we are known for always saying sorry. It was dreadful here in eastern Ontario for two days but the rain has helped. Meanwhile lovely projects on the go as always. I enjoyed seeing the sweater and pup in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so excited for your visiting your new grandson!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.