Sunday, April 2, 2023

Two partial finishes and a start

I partially finished two of my crafts. First I finished quilting this "table topper"?

 I think that is how I will use it as it is somewhat large to be a pillow and doesn't fit with my decor at all. My mother hand pieced this, but never finished it. It would have matched her kitchen beautifully.  It will work as a Fall table topper for me. I need to trim the edges and bind it. First I have to find an appropriate binding fabric. I might use the beige backing fabric or see if there is enough of any of the other fabrics in my mother's quilt drawers.

The birth announcement (Hawaiian Keiki Sampler by Frances L. Johnson Designs) is as complete as it can be until my grandson is born in June. 

Some of the floss colors are different from the pattern photo and instructions. It turns out that the instructions tell you to use DMC 890 for the curlicues, but when you look at the pattern photo it is a much lighter green floss...probably DMC 699 or 701. Since I had finished all of the curlicues prior to checking the photo I decided to leave them. The Hawaiian proverb is done in 1 strand of 890 as the pattern stated. The alphabet was supposed to be completed in 2 strands of 890, but I changed it to 699 to brighten the piece up a bit as the curlicues were so dark. Also the two innermost straight lines are supposed to be one strand each of  DMC 995 (the bright blue) and 699 (medium green). The photo shows a much lighter looking color so I replaced the 699 with 701. It still doesn't look as light as the pattern photo, but I am happy with it. That is also the pairing I will use for the name and the birth statistics.

I have added some stitches to the smallest bib.

The little pup needs to be stitched as well as the red band on his hat and his bow. I will probably work on this when I visit my mom today.

Since I finished both baby blankets (you can see that post here) and I can't stitch any more on the birth announcement, I decided it was time to start my granddaughter's Christmas stocking. This is the kit that my daughter and SIL chose.

I sorted the floss and put the beads and sequins in a bead box and then worked on the first piece.

I still have to finish my DIL's cross-stitched stocking which will take precedence along with the bib, but it is nice to have a different sort of craft to work on at the moment. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!




16 comments:

  1. Lovely birth announcement! Just a few details to add when he arrives. The vintage bib is really cute. Where did you get these? The stocking should keep you busy for a while and then you will need to make one for your grandson too. You will not be bored any time soon! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely quilting on the table topper, Cathie and all that lovely stitching on the birth announcement has resulted in a splendid finish. You have some lovely projects to work on. I always love the stockings you create. This is another lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything! I used to make the felt and beads stuffed stockings.. my honey has one I made! Lol. Love the birth announcement too! And the other one also!!! Natalie’s name is sew sweet!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will make a pretty fall table topper - I love the quilting in the center! The baby announcement turned out beautifully, too. What a special keepsake that will be for your son and family! Enjoy your stitching today, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathie: The Birth Announcement is so sweet, I like the color of the curly Q's.
    The bib is so cute, I like the design and fabric colors of the table topper.
    I like the felt stocking kits have done a few in the past.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cathie - wonderful finish on the sampler, it really turned out fabulous. Your mother's piece is a real treasure and will be great for the fall season. I'm starting some Christmas projects too :) never to early in my book. BTW is this your HQAL posting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure who is asking this question, but I stopped posting in HQAL as I am no longer working on any hand quilting. I have so many other projects currently in the works, that hand quilting is not currently in rotation. I am glad you like the sampler.

      Delete
  7. The birth sampler is so cute. I’m sure your children appreciate all the beautiful keepsakes that you make for their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children appreciate the items I make them as long as I don't make too many. They do like the wedding and birth announcements, the stockings and the quilts.

      Delete
  8. so much progress! I started a blanket for our granddaughter to be (end of August!). I love knitting baby stuff because it goes so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are really keeping things moving along Cathie! Beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so love those embroidered bibs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful stitching in this post, Cathie. Love it all. How nice to get a start on the gorgeous Christmas stocking. Beautiful cross stitching. I enjoyed reading your floss change thoughts as I have often opted for a lighter colour than the pattern calls for. Even the Snow Days I'm embroidering these days, I lightened the shade of dark brown. Anyway, continued happy stitching from me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of this stocking Cathie and look forward to watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.