Sunday, April 30, 2023

Oh, my aching.....knee?

I could have said "Oh, my aching back", because that is what is causing my left knee and leg pain. In 2018, I was diagnosed with two herniated discs in my lower back. After a course of steroids and two epidural shots I no longer had back pain, but my left leg/knee was numb. If I failed to keep up with my back exercises, the numbness would intesify. Well since my son's wedding a year ago, not only have I not been good about doing my exercises, but I have gained 10 pounds and been sitting in soft chairs a lot when I knit or cross-stitch. Needless to say, I had a visit with the orthopedist 2 weeks ago and he suggested PT and a 24 hour anti-inflammatory for 2-3 weeks. Friday night I went to bed with my knee a little bit uncomfortable. Within an hour, I was pacing the first floor of my house unable to either sit or lay down until almost 4 in the morning despite taking additional meds. I have an appointment with my orthopedist on Monday morning. I plan to go to PT and get some stronger meds.

Now on to what I have been working on. I finally finished the little bib.

I have started working on the larger one now.

I have been adding pieces to my granddaughter's stocking also. The snowman is almost complete. He has his face, but needs the rest of his scarf and his left arm. 

Knitting my granddaughter's sweater is the project that most likely caused my back/leg problems on Friday night. I was happily sitting on the couch knitting the back of the sweater while watching TV for a couple of hours. I can't sit on a soft seat for that long. I must get up and move around and change seats. 

I wasn't knitting the whole time so the back isn't finished yet, but it is getting close. 

We had a couple of visitors to our pool one morning this week.

They only stayed for a little while.

I wonder if it is the same pair of ducks as last year?

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. I am also linking to Kate at Life in Pieces. Pop on over to these sites to see what other bloggers are up to. 

Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. What a pain, literally!!! I try not to sit for too long too. On long car trips, we stop often and I walk around for 10 minutes. The stocking is looking fabulous. Such pretty yarn for Natalie’s sweater. Those bibs are precious. Take care of yourself! I wear a Fitbit and it reminds me to get moving once an hour …. Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely embroidery. Hope a visit to the orthopedist will help your pain. I just went to my orthopaedic surgeon after lots of pain and I need a full knee replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xrays on my knee revealed that it is doing just fine. I was told that it is unlikely I will ever need a knee replacement. Sadly, the pain all stems from my back.

      Delete
  3. pain in different parts of our body can be such a pain! no joke for me it is constantly my neck it seems like and then I'm putting up with a walking boot for another week or so and that gives you such an uneven walking that you get pain in your back or knees both! All of your work looks great and love the ducks in the pool

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that your knee is bothering you so much. I hope the PT and meds help. A friend of mine here has a son who is a PT and she was telling me that a lot of their work is pain management. Meanwhile, keep moving and keep stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie I feel your pain! I hope you get it under control and you can carry on with all your beautiful WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely bibs and sweater. So sorry you are undergoing such pain. Hope you can get it under more reasonable control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you sister. I have spinal injuries, and knees are effected, as well as numb toes. No one can seem to correct any of it, and it often keeps me up, it's invisible to people so they just think I'm cranky.
    I learned to draw from youtube tutorials.... I often pass on tutorials I found to be super easy. One teacher I adore is Joanna Basford for making drawing simple, she has 12 free lessons on youtube
    LeeAnna
    Not Afraid of Color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor prescribed prednisone and PT. Looking forward to starting both. Thanks for the drawing recommendation.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry you've got the leg/back issues. I have the same, they definitely aren't fun. The bibs are really cute and so is that stocking. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry you are dealing with back and knee pain. I hope the PT helps so you can continue stitching. Your bibs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, I'm so sorry to read about your back, knee pain, do hope you can get some relief very soon. Sending you a cyber hug from across the sea. The knitting you are doing is very pretty, and I live the embroidered bibs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that sounds so painful, Cathie; I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It is hard to exercise when it is so painful. Meanwhile, pretty cute bibs. I love vintage style patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouch. Hope you feel better soon. Sweet bib and baby sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do hope you get some pain relief, nerve pain is the worst!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.