Saturday, February 18, 2023

Slow Sunday Yarn Stitching

For those of you looking for a HQAL update, I have none as I have been way to busy with the projects below as well as a few others. I hope to rejoin the update once a couple of these are completed. In the meantime, feel free to look at all the projects that I have been working on. 

I spent 5 days at my daughter's just over a week ago to help with childcare as both my daughter and son-in-law had to work. My son-in-law is now a stay at home dad for the foreseeable future. I totally enjoyed the opportunity to take care of my sweet granddaughter. 

I just brought my knitting as I didn't want to have sewing needles around an infant and a pup. I was making great strides with the knitted baby blanket. I had the pattern down pat.  I got this great row counter from Twice Sheared Sheep which was helping me keep track.

 You can see how much I have completed. 

Unfortunately I realized that I just didn't like the blanket. It was too heavy. It turns out that Bernat baby yarn is not weight 2, but weight 3. The pattern called for baby yarn (it is an old pattern) with two strands held together. Although I love this pattern it also may be two sweet for a boy and the gender has not been revealed as yet. I decided to stop my knitting and find something else. I had one skein of yarn that I had yet to start working with. I cast on the Garter Rib Baby Blanket. I have already made great strides in knitting this and I like it so much better. 

 It only uses one strand of yarn and the pattern knits much more quickly. The blanket itself is a much lighter weight. This will be better for a summer baby. 

I have also made great strides crocheting the secret baby blanket. I have 99 of 198 rows completed. I am halfway done! This is a peek of the back.

I added yet another log to the next 10 blocks for my daughter's quilt. One more log to go and then the y-seam. 


We had a brief spate of warm weather this past week and my crocuses bloomed.

It was 20 degrees F last night, but they are still in bloom today. 

Hubby and I took advantage of the nice weather and walked along the path at the local preserve. We stopped at one of the lakes and saw some ducks.
Last Monday we had a small celebration for Hubby's birthday. His mother came for dinner and we had his favorite Entenmann's chocolate cake for dessert.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. I love the blankets progresses…
    I hope you enjoyed being Grammy a lot… or did you change your “name”… everything is great… happy birthday to your hubby!
    Ksthi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your needles and crochet hook have been getting a workout lately! I like both of the knitted baby blankets! Enjoy every moment with your little grand-daughter! Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the baby blankets .
    Belated birthday wishes to your hubby .
    Enjoy your Sunday , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy, what a shame you don't like the blanket because it's lovely hopefully you will find a use for it later. Happy birthday to your husband it's lovely to see the spring bulbs coming into bloom isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great progress with the new aqua knitted blanket and the crochet one looks to be perfect for Summer. You have been busy. Happy Birthday to your husband I almost celebrated the same day and also with a chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all of your projects look so good. That is so nice that one parent can work from home to be a stay at home parent. Child care is so expensive and so many germs in those places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good time watching the grandkids, too bad you don't like the blanket, I love that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this pattern also, but I would have to buy different yarn as it is just too heavy for a baby. This is a somewhat slow pattern for me to knit also. For some reason, I keep making mistakes. I didn't think I could start it over and finish it in time for the baby shower.

      Delete
  8. Love the color of the second blanket. Happy Birthday to your husband. Lovely bulbs that are blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your husband, Cathie! Birthdays and chocolate cake is always an excellent idea. How wonderful to spend all that time with your Natalie and care for her. It's such a shame the pretty fan-patterned blanket didn't suit but the new one does sound as if it will be lighter and more appropriate. You will have it finished in no time. Such a pretty colour blue. Sweet crocuses popping up......spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathie - lots of great projects. I love the minty colors. excited to see the baby blanket finished. I need to get back to crocheting - which I really enjoy doing. My crocus are up but no buds or blooms yet :( and a big happy birthday to your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always like mint green for a baby of unknown gender. I am enjoying the feel of yarn in my hands again.

      Delete
  11. Your crocuses are so pretty, and happy birthday to your hubby, too! I'm glad you found a blanket pattern and yarn you like better. It will be a much more enjoyable project that way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy birthday to you husband!! How sweet you were able to babysit in a crunch! My son and daughter in law are juggling the same issues, it's not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cathie: Happy Birthday to your husband.
    The baby blanket done is # three really is pretty.
    The Garter Rib baby blanket is a stunning color, you have been very busy on all your blankets.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love both those blanket patterns. The garter stitch is also turning out nicely and I'm glad you are happy with it. Your log cabin is coming along nicely too. Great photo of the hubby there and belated happy birthday to him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are both great baby blankets. Maybe you can finish the first one for a winter baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.