Sunday, August 14, 2022

HQAL - Hand Quilt Along

I may be crazy, but I have joined a Hand Quilt Along group run by Kathy at Sewing EtcI want to keep the mauve baby quilt in the mix of items that I am working on and I think this will motivate me to stitch on it.

 I've been stuck trying to figure out how to alter the stencil I am using to fit the long side border. It easily fit on one of the short ends with just a slight adjustment, but it isn't working for the long side. Yesterday I made a paper template of the area that I want to stencil and then used a pencil to try to figure out the stencil. Although it is difficult to see in this photo. I decided to continue the braided stencil to the center of the border where I will then add the same type of flower that is in the maroon cornerstone.

I am happy with the way this should look. I will start bringing it with me to work on when I visit my mother. A reminder, this quilt is one that my mother hand-pieced, but never finished. I want to finish it now that I will have a granddaughter. She can use it when she visits. 

The HQAL is an opportunity for hand quilters to share and motivate each other. The talented quilters below post every three weeks to show our progress and encourage one another. Stop by their sites to see what they are working on. If you have a hand project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisyCathie and Tracy

I haven't added many stitches to the Woodland Animals birth announcement as Hubby and I actually took a vacation. Please check out my post about the first day of our trip to California.

I did manage to add a frog, a ladybug and the paws of the fox.


I have decided to backstitch the critters as I go so I don't have to go back at the end. 

I am also joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!




17 comments:

  1. Great pictures from day one of your holiday. I'm loving your cross stitch. I'm not a fan of outlining but it does make a difference. Good idea to do it as you go along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so you are in two hand quilting groups now - that should keep you motivated! I keep motivated on my own and own pace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the hand-stitching group to keep up with my cross-stitch. I am usually self motivated, but certain things get pushed aside or I forget I have them.

      Delete
  3. Cathie.. I love you braise you are hand quilting on the border of the quilt for grand babies when they visit you! What an heirloom started by your mom and finished by you!!!
    I love the wildlife animals around the tree you are cross stitching too… outlining them as you go may make it go faster too!

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting looks wonderful, and I'm glad you were able to get the stencil to work. That will be a special quilt for the baby - from your mom's hands to yours to your daughter and her little one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute critters by the tree! Your quilting looks great…nice texture. Looks like you had a good visit with your son and his wife. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete

  6. Great projects, and great little quilt to take when you visit your mom. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How great that your mom started a quilt , your finishing it , and family gets to enjoy it! Nice quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Unfortunately my mom is bedridden with dementia so I am going to try to eventually finish the quilt items she started.

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the HQAL :) Glad you joined us. Your stitching is lovely and that braided stencil looks amazing. Very celtic looking. I think its the perfect choice for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought several stencils to try and this one made me the happiest. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. You are doing great with the hand quilting, Cathie. That little frog behind the tree is so cute.
      Happy stitching/ quilting!

      Delete
  9. Your hand quilting is beautiful and that is such a darling cross stitch you are working on. Love that frog. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you're making steady progress on that cross stitch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.