Sunday, August 26, 2018

What a week

Santa got one of the toys in his sack...the doll house. 
It's a cute little thing.
 I have been knitting a lot this week at Mom's bedside. My 91-year-old mom is in the hospital with a UTI since Tuesday. Unfortunately the bacteria entered the bloodstream and she was running a very high fever. She is getting better, but will need to go to rehab as she has hardly walked since Monday and is very weak. Monday night when I stayed with her at her house I needed something to keep me busy so I cast on the scarf on the right out of yarn that I had given to her to make Operation Gratitude scarves. I figured I might as well keep myself busy.
The scarf on the left I had already started at home. I have been visiting Mom about 4 hours a day so I am knitting a whole bunch. Prayers for her recovery would be appreciated. I am not sure whether or not she will recover enough this time to live as independently as she has. Her home is about 5 minutes from me and she has lived alone for over 30 years, but as school starts next week I will not be able to take care of her. She needs 24 hour care right now. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I hope to find a few minutes to work on the Advent Calendar. 

Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I hope your Mom is feeling much better soon. UTI's are miserable at any age but they can really set an older person back. It is good that you have your knitting to work on as you visit her. I did a lot of counted cross stitch when sitting with my Dad when he was sick earlier this year. Somehow, keeping our hands busy makes these stressful times more bearable. Praying for you and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have finished one of the scarves and will continue to work on the other. Mom should be transferred today. I hope she improves. I remember when you were sitting with Dad.

      Delete
  2. Sure hope your Mom recuperates quickly; very worrisome....
    I like your little Santa present...Sending prayers for you and your Mom hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. keeping your hands busy is what we do best while we sit at a bedside - I sure hope your mom improves soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your mother will be well soon. It's good that you could knit when you visited her at the hospital.
    The doll house you have made on Santa project is very cute.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for your mother Cathie ,I know how worried you must be . Your Santa looks great and your knitting .
    Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so stressful to worry about caring for a loved one and balancing all the other responsibilities you have. Hope the stitching is helping to pass the time while recovery slowly happens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about your mom. It's nice that you can knit, I found knitting to be very therapeutic when some of our family members have been ill. I really like your santa stitching and the little doll house is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knit or crochet when stressed as long as it is a mindless pattern.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear your mum is poorly. These UTIs can be horrible, so wishing her better soon. That little doll house is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your mom, prayers and wishes for a quick recovery are sent her way. Lovely scarves and the Santa doll house piece is looking sweet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cathie, sending my get well wishes for your dear mother. It's always a joy to see your beautiful stitching projects. I hope you have a good start for the be school year. Thinking of you, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry your mom is ill but I'm glad she is in the hospital getting the care she needs. Love the package in the sack to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MY mom had the same scenario a year or so ago... sympathies and hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I missed slow stitch Sunday this week. Sorry to hear about your Mom. Understand completely, Dad is 92. UTI's is so common among older women, most don't drink enough water because the physical part of getting to the bathroom is a problem. They can become quite confused with a bad UTI. I wish her well, and you too. As I now how difficult it is. Glad you were able to knit and keep your hands busy. It's calming when in a stressful situation. Both scarves look awesome.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.