Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

This weekend is just a rainy mess. It is perfect for stitching and crafting, but not so nice to celebrate Father's Day with my hubby. We are having a very odd Father's Day this year. Usually one of our children is home. We have a BBQ with them and my husband's parents. This year my father-in-law is unable to visit our home and our children are in Boston and California. It is just the two of us. 
I have posted this cross-stitch before. I designed and stitched it in 1989 for my in-laws taking elements from charts I owned. My mother-in-law found the saying in a cartoon. It is amazing to me that my hubby and I are there already. My son was born that year.

If you are wondering why I failed to mention my own father. He died over 50 years ago when I was just 3 years old. This is the last photo that was taken with him.
I didn't celebrate Father's Day until I got married. Mom brought me up all by herself. She walked me down the aisle on my wedding day. Tomorrow, my 88 year old mom is having surgery to replace her pacemaker battery. The doctor says it is a routine out-patient procedure, but nothing is routine at 88.

So I will spend the majority of this weekend stitching. I am still making progress on Baker Beach. Last week I was just starting work on the bridge:
This week the bridge is almost done and I am heading for the rocks below it. Do you see the bottom of the peachy beige stitching. That is where this page ends! Almost there.

I will be bringing my Prairie School Santa with me to the hospital tomorrow. I haven't worked on it in a while. I bought the floss colors that I was missing yesterday. The stitching will keep me sane.
A question for my readers. I took out Little House's Needleworks' Love that I finished stitching some time ago. I really want to make it into a little pillow or ornament. I took a picture of it with the fabrics that I am auditioning. Any thoughts about which one I should choose? 
I am leaning towards the red on top. 

 I am joining Kathy today for some Slow Sunday Stitching today. Tomorrow, I will hopefully join the Stitchery Link Party at Super Mom - No Cape. Pop on over to these sites to see what other bloggers are stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

  1. I will be thinking of you and your mom tomorrow. You are right - at 88 nothing seems normal anymore!

    Your stitching is coming along nicely. I would choose the light green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom sounds like a strong lady who isn't ready to go anywhere else just yet!!!
    Your stitchery is lovely...I like the leafy green on the right and my second choice would be the top red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that stitchery you made at the top of the post!
    So interesting to hear other people's fabric choices.
    I would pick the light green on the left... so soft looking, or the raspberry at the bottom for more of a contrast.
    Enjoy your slow stitching today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all goes well with your Mum tomorrow. Isn't it interesting how we have all chosen different colour schemes! Your four choices all go really well though but I would go with the greens! I shall watch to see which one you go for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all goes well with your Mum. I would go with the leafy green, hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I still don't know which fabric I will choose.

      Delete
  6. Hope that all will go well with the outpatient surgery. Having a bit of handwork to occupy you while it is going on will help to pass the time I hope. I like both of the lighter colors -- the green to the left and the red on the bottom. They would let the stitching be more of a focal point I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope everything goes well with your Mum and also that your knee is better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope that all will be well with your mama and it's good that you have a project to take along.

    Fabrics at the end there...I like the lighter shades; the green to my left and the red on the bottom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is doing well. The surgery went smoothly. It seems I still have to figure out which fabric to use. There are many different opinions.

      Delete
  9. Best wishes and prayers for your mom! We still have a few years to go before we are just "us two" again, but then we never really were just us two as we had three kids between us when we wed back in 1992. Can't imagine what it will be like when we get there, and I'm not in any hurry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your X stitch. I would use the light green or light red as I like both equally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hoping all is well with your mom, who is an incredible woman. you are right that nothing is routine as we all age.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Cathie! I hope all went well at the hospital with your Mum! Your cross stitch projects are all beautiful... I love the pretty little panel you are making into a pillow... my favourite fabric with it is the green leafy fabric to the right but all the fabrics look lovely so go with your heart! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to read in the comments that your mom is doing well after her surgery.
    I think I'd take a red and a green one if I wanted to add strips along the edges, alternating them. If it's for the back, I'd take the green leafy one on the right hand side.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that saying. One thing my Mom always advised was to make sure to keep strong as a couple because one day when the kids were all grown we wouldn't want to get there and realize we were strangers. Now with adult children, I'm glad we took her advice!

    Your bridge has progressed alot since the first time I saw it!

    Thanks for linking up to last Monday's Stitchery Link Party and for linking back. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.