Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Christmas Gifts 2013 and a Happy New Year Yarn Along

Happy New Year!!!

This year I decided that some hand-made gifts would be appropriate for my family as that is what this blog is all about. I started out simply by making plastic canvas coaster sets for each of my children. 

 This set was made for my daughter. I have made this pattern before and my daughter has always liked it.  


 
The set below was made for my son. I went through a few revisions of this design as I wanted to make sure they would be masculine enough for him. 
 

 

I was quite pleased with the result. The center star is actually a dark teal with black and grey surrounding.

My daughter also received the Richmond Lace Infinity Scarf.
 


I used Patons Kroy Socks yarn in Chambray Colors. The yarn is a little thicker than what is recommended so the scarf came out somewhat wider and I needed two skeins to get the correct length. My daughter is quite happy with it and did not immediately realize it was hand-made. Perfect.

My son received this Wasatch Backcountry Hat for Christmas.

I used Caron Simply Soft in Charcoal Heather and Grey Heather. I think I may make another in the opposing colorway for my husband but I will have to make it longer because when he tried it on to model it for me it was too small for him.

Joining Ginny's Yarn Along. What are you knitting/crocheting? What are you reading? Stop on by her site to see what others are crafting and reading.

I have just finished reading The Shell Seekers.  I don't know why it took me so long to read as I found the story quite interesting and looked forward to learning about each character. Next I am planning to read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.
 


 
 
Thanks for stopping by!

 

 

9 comments:

  1. Very lovely gifts. I really like the infinity scarf. I've read the Friday Night Knitting Club before and it's a great book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I so like your header. Did you embroider that as well? I liked your comment about your daughter not realizing the scarf was home knit. It made me laugth and huff at the same time - a friendly sound ;)
    It's all so nice.
    Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son immediately knew that the hat was hand-knit but I confused my daughter by including the paper yarn-band so she would have the washing instructions. She thought it was a receipt.

      Delete
  3. I really like the coasters you made for your son. This is possibly the first time ever that I've seen something embroidered that looked really male (plus super stylish from my poit of view).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as I said these went through several revisions.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year. Gorgeous gifts, love those coasters. I've just finished Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs. Check out my blog tomorrow, I've got a great knitty giveaway. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giveaway heads up. I've heard of that book from many fellow bloggers too.

      Delete
  5. My husband and I both love that hat! I will have to make one for him and for my two sons. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. It's fun to remember moments when our children are excited and happy and proud of themselves, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.