Sunday, January 7, 2024

Plans for 2024

Happy New Year! 

It is time to make some crafting plans for the 2024. I have two WIPs that I am determined to finish this year.....October Morning and the Log Cabin Star quilt. Of course you know that there are lots more crafts already planned and some that will just happen along. 

I have added another log to the next 10 blocks of the Log Cabin Star quilt. This last log gave me fits again. I don't know what it is, but sometimes these logs with the diamonds go well the first time through and other times there is a lot of seam ripping. That is certainly what happened this week. Yet, the log is on all 10 and the fabric pieces are chosen for the next log.  


I have been adding stitches to October Morning, but I don't have a photo today.

I also started this crochet project. It's a secret so I can't tell you what it is, but I need to make two of them. Of course this is one of those surprise items that come along.

If you want to know just how long I have been saving this pattern, the date in the lower right corner is Woman's Day/ March 27, 1978. I think it is well past time that I make this item. When I was going through my saved patterns....of all different crafts....I started to throw out those that I realize I will just never make or that I no longer care for. I need to really start purging some patterns.

Before I reveal some more of my crafting plans, I want to share with you this organizational mess.

This was my dining room yesterday at 4 pm.....it still looks like that this morning. These are several of my Christmas storage boxes. Yes, that is a Pampers box from over 30 years ago. I also inherited 3 large storage boxes of Christmas decorations from my mother as well as a small cardboard box and a large box of tree ornaments. I have yet to sort through the ornaments. That box currently resides in my basement. I was able to quickly empty one of the 3 boxes as there were 9 unadorned wreaths and a few other items that I just didn't want. I took that box and filled it with all of my own Christmas greenery items as well as a few of my mom's. That is now in the garage waiting to be stored on the shelf. One of her boxes is filled with vintage putz houses as well as a plastic church from my childhood and her stable with 2 nativity sets....one from mom's childhood. That is also in the garage waiting to be stored as it is well packed and I didn't feel like sorting it. 
I knew that I also had a few decorations of my own that I no longer want. Please note that there are 6 boxes of Christmas decor that you can see with another 5 in my basement as well as 2 boxes of lights (one for outdoors and one for the tree). Do you think I have waaaay to many Christmas decorations? I do, but I have trouble parting with them. What I decided to do is put all of my Santas together in one box and all of the snowmen together in another. They have been scattered throughout all the boxes and it makes decorating a challenge sometimes. Also, I thought that I may want to keep the snowmen out throughout January, but that was impossible as they were in several different boxes. I also wanted to keep some of my mom's decorations, but I needed to add them to my boxes. So I emptied almost all of the boxes and started a play Christmas decoration Tetris. I have made great progress, but I got tired yesterday. I plan on finishing the storing....fingers crossed....today.

Well enough about that, let me finally tell you my 2024 crafting plans. I have several WIPs that I would like to finish. I will share photos of these item as I work on them. There are some new items that I want to start also.

1. October Morning
2. Log Cabin Star quilt
3. Finish stitching the cross-stitch lid of a box
4. Finish an embroidered apron
5. Finish the Tweety pillow
6/7. Make 2 I-Spy quilts
8. Make 2 Felt Christmas ornaments for my grandchildren (a July project)
9. Finish (maybe) my maroon sweater (I am not sure it is possible) 
10. Finish the Overall Sam quilt that my mom pieced (quilting and binding needed)
11. Work on Three Boats (do you remember that cross-stitch?)
12. Work on Summer Oak Embroidery (I'm not sure I ever shared this old WIP)
13. Start one of 4 cross-stitch projects that I have waiting in the wings
14. Try my hand at making machine stitched rope baskets.
15. Start the 3D looking ball quilt that needs to be hand pieced or a tumbling blocks quilt. 

 I am truly hoping that I can successfully complete the first ten. Remember though that I have already started a crocheted project that is not on the list and I want to make small gift for a friend's daughter who is expecting in February. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are up to. I hope to add a few stitches to October Morning today after I finish my organizing.

Thanks for stopping by!


16 comments:

  1. You are going to be a very BUSY BEE this year .
    I boxed all my ones this year , I have started to down size all my ones now each year I have one big box to pass on to all the Grand Children for next year .
    Like you I have far to many and I buy something new every year, my Daughter would throw them away but the GC save them and some are 40years old plus.
    Have a lovely January , hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s good to get organized at the start of the new year. I went through all of our Christmas decorations a few years ago and got rid of the ones that we no longer used. My husband and I are undecorating this afternoon. I’m looking forward to seeing your projects each week this year. The list of things to finish is a good idea. I had a list last year and should make a new one for this year. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely projects you have planned for this year. You will be a busy lady. Hope you get the organising done today so you can enjoy putting some stitches on October Morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many lovely projects you have planned for this year. You will be a busy lady. Hope you get the organising done today so you can enjoy putting some stitches on October Morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 'mystery project' has a distinct 'toe like' appearance, but I could be wrong. And the log cabin stars blocks are looking good. I like your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say, but the secret project is not "toe like". Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. You have so many lovely things planned, I hope you manage to get them all done think positive haha, I have so much clutter to get rid of I should really be making it my priority but somehow crafting always seems to come first. have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Organizing those decorations is time consuming but so well worth the time. Keeping the snowmen out for January sounds like a great idea. I hope you can make progress in your list this year, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have way too many Xmas boxes too and yesterday I bought two large plastic boxes to store my Xmas quilts in and actually filled them up today I need to tackle the closet and find a place to put them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great projects to look forward to in 2024. Glad you are taking some time to organize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great plans you have for 2024! I also have been in a reorganization/decluttering mood. I am going through closets and getting rid of stuff I no longer need/want. Plus getting ready for a neighborhood yard sale in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a hard time getting rid of Christmas decorations, too! They're just very special and sentimental - especially the old ones from our parents. Glad you're getting through that hard section of the Log Cabin Star - it will all be worth it in the end when you have a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been watching your progress on Log Cabin Star--beautiful! Can you share the source for the pattern you are using? I'm inspired to give it a try! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, what I am calling Log Cabin Star is Judy Martin's Timberline from her Log Cabin Quilt book.

      Delete
  13. may you crush your goals!! I haven't made any goals but I've been knitting a ton!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Cathie, thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and learning about your organization/clean out goals and also your stitching plans too. We have boxes of old Christmas stuff that definitely needs pruning but, like you, bear some sentimental value. It is good to tidy and also good to have lots of goals, being busy with a purpose is good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.