Saturday, March 4, 2023

Snow, Yarn, Books

 Last weekend we visited my daughter and her family. The trip to Boston took 5 hours due to an early morning accident on Interstate 95 that the navigation apps both said would only be an 11 minute delay. Well it was over an hour delay as 3 lanes of the 4 lane road were closed. On the subsequent highway we were traveling in snow! It didn't look like much on the side of the road.

Visibility was limited though so driving was much slower on these roads than usual. 
We did eventually make it to Boston and I got to celebrate my birthday with family. I even got some Grammy snuggles.

The long car ride was beneficial to getting a good amount of knitting completed. This baby blanket is well on its way to being completed over the next week. 

The secret baby blanket has 140 of 198 rows completed. I can't wait until I can share it with you. It is quite adorable if I do say so myself. I need to keep it under wraps just a little while longer.

I've been doing a bunch of reading lately. It gives my hands a rest. I recently finished "A Single Thread" by Marie Bostwick.

 This is first book of the Cobbled Court Quilt series, but unfortunately I can't borrow any of the subsequent books from my library system. I would like to read more of this series. 

I also finished "The Splendour Falls" by Susanna Kearsley. 

I really like this author's books. I have read several of them. I highly recommend this book. 

I am currently reading "The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle" by Jennifer Ryan. 

This is historical fiction that is very well written. I am enjoying it immensely. 

With the arrival of Lent, I have been looking for new fish recipes. I made Spicy Island Shrimp last night. I halved the recipe and also only cooked the shrimp initially for one minute and then took them out of the pan and set them aside. I added them back in during the last 5 minutes. I am not a savvy cook, but cooking the shrimp in the sauce for 15-20 minutes would have been way too long.  I served it over rice with a side salad.

It was very tasty. This from someone who only likes most seafood breaded and fried. I will be making this again.

I will be joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are up to. I will be spending a bunch of time with yarn in my hands. 



6 comments:

  1. All of these winter storms are so crazy - some people getting feet and feet of snow and can't get shoveled out. Happy photo with baby and happy birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great visit with an adorable baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! Lovely picture of you and Natalie! She is growing! Winter forgot to show up this year, until now. At least when it snows in March, we know it is not going to last long. I have that second book on my list to read. Great progress on the baby blankets. Take care. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! and it's all fun and games to travel until there is a delay. Glad you got there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! That shrimp recipe sounds delicious. I’m going to have to try it. Fun to get some baby snuggles after that long trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shrimp recipe was very tasty. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.