Sunday, May 22, 2022

A notable birthday

Those of you who regularly follow my blog know my mother's dementia story by now so I won't rehash it, but Thursday was my mother's 95th birthday. I took the day off from work and made a lemon meringue pie from scratch for her.


 I also went to the fish store and bought some flounder. I made her flounder and mashed potatoes for her birthday dinner. She ate almost all of it which is quite an accomplishement these days. 

I had previously contacted as many of my cousins as I could and requested that each of them send her a card for her birthday. She received a total of 12 cards from family and friends. 

One of her aides bought the balloons to hang around her bedroom to make it festive. The flowers are from me. She seemed to enjoy her special day. 

I am still working on the cross-stitches on Santa. I finished the first border and my son-in-law's name. I ran out of one of the colors in the middle of the name so I had to make a stop at Michaels. I am now working on the final border.

 The metallic floss again gave me fits. I have purchased the bees wax and definitely see a difference, but one time the floss shredded as I was bringing it through the beeswax. Really!? 

Our son is visiting us this weekend as he had a course to attend for work in Connecticut. He traveled to Long Island via the ferry on Friday. 

Yesterday, we went to Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Park in Oyster Bay for an "Art in the Park" event that unfortunately wasn't all that interesting. It was more like a glorified craft fair. Don't get me wrong, I love craft fairs, but that was not what I expected. It was nice park with pretty views of Oyster Bay.


From there we went to Sagamore Hill, Theodore Roosevelts's home that is often known as the "Summer White House". It was a hot day, and we weren't looking to tour the home, but rather enjoy the nature trail.

There were a whole lot of ferns along the path.
The path ended at the bay where Teddy Roosevelt used to play with his children.
The views were pretty.
We were hot and sweaty, but glad to be together.

At home, my lavender azalea is in bloom.


One rhododendron is starting to bloom also.


I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I am going to try to finish that upper border on the Santa stocking while Hubby and son go golfing.

Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Mom! Sounds like you made it into a very special day for her.
    The stocking is so close to being done…I agree that metallic thread is a pain!
    Looks like you had a great visit with your son too! A good week!
    Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good week. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. 95 is a wonderful milestone! I'm so glad you were able to celebrate it in a way that your mom enjoyed. I bet it was nice to have your son home again for a visit - Sagamore Hill looks like a neat place to visit. Your azalea is gorgeous! Looks like you're almost done with Santa - enjoy your stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds your mother had a very special day. What a blessing 95 years! Happy birthday to her!
    I don't like to stitch with metallic and always as possible I made a substitution. Santa is looking good so far. Great you have also a special day with your son.
    Happy Sunday, Cathie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made your mom’s bday special. Pie looks perfect! Frustrating when a thread doesn’t behave. My only suggestion is to perhaps shorten the length of thread. The effect of gold is worthwhile. Thanks for sharing photos of the day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful celebration you made for your Mom! And that lemon pie is a masterpiece! I am sure she felt loved. I have not stitched with metallic floss but it sounds dreadful. Hope you can enjoy your stitching time today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your mom had a great birthday, and you had a great visit with your son. Looks like a great place to enjoy a walk. Santa is coming on splendidly. Great work! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like your Mom had a nice birthday and loved her special meal! That lemon pie looks scrumptious. What a nice place to visit and beautiful trails. Santa is coming along well and I hope that pesky metallic thread cooperates for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gave your Mother a wonderful Happy Birthday lunch for her 95th, and her room looks very festive with cards and balloons brightening it up. A lovely walk along the shore and the nature trail, it's always so good for the soul to be out and about in wonderful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your Mom! Mine turned 96 April 29th. She, too, (and us) is struggling with dementia. We're happy she still knows us. Lovely handwork you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 95th Birthday to your mother .
    Santa is almost stitched well done .
    Lovely garden flowers .
    Always great to be out on the nature trail .

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet celebration for your mom. Happy Birthday to her! Your Santa is coming along very nicely. Oyster Bay is pretty! Love the walk up in the ferns. So peaceful looking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that everyone went to a lot of trouble for your dear mom, Cathie. How cheery and celebratory her room looks with the balloons, cards and flowers. I smiled at her birthday meal of flounder and mash potato. I must say the lemon meringue pie looks delicious! So happy for you that she enjoyed her birthday. Happy, Happy 95th Birthday to your lovely mom♡

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.