Sunday, February 13, 2022

Birthday, Olympics and Super Bowl!

Today is Hubby's birthday. This is my favorite photo of him from our daughter's wedding two years ago.

I will be making a beef roast and we will have a cake to celebrate just the two of us. We've been together since high school.

We have been totally enjoying watching all the different winter sports of the Olympics. I have been getting a whole lot of crafting completed while watching. I love all of the events. 

I have finished the main picture part of the Baby Elephant Blanket. Now I can start working on the borders.

Isn't that elephant adorable?

I have started to fill in the gold stitching on the gift on the Santa stocking. You can just barely see the difference of the crosses on the left and those on the right.  

 Gosh, I hate stitching with gold metallic floss. I had one strand just fray something awful as I was stitching. I am using short strands to try to prevent the fraying. There are red beads that will go in the center of each cross. I think last time I said they were sequins, but I was not correct. In fact, I was just checking the kit and realized that the silver beads needed for the white fur on the cuffs and hat are missing. I wrote to the company and we shall see what they do.

I finished the 10 log cabin blocks I was working on last week. Now I have 21 out of 196 blocks completed. 

Each block finishes to 6 5/8 inches. I just had to lay them out to see what they look like so far.

As for the Super Bowl, well I really don't care about it. I know blasphemy, right? Well there is no New York team in the Super Bowl this year and I am not entered in any betting pool as I have sometimes been in the past. I might watch some of it....I usually like the half-time show, but I don't even know who is supposed to be performing this year. I may try to find some Olympic events on another station. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I think I will try to tackle the rest of the metallic stitching. Ugh.

Thanks for stopping by!


16 comments:

  1. What a lovely happy photo of your hubby.
    I also use much smaller strands with gold thread and I pull it through thread wax .
    Great progress on Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m not a fan of metallic threads either! I found thread wax helped a bit. Hope you can finish up with the gold thread soon and move on to something easier to stitch with!
    Your daughter’s quilt is a beauty in progress. I’m wondering what type of border that cute elephant will get…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathie: Happy Birthday to your Husband, he looks so happy.
    I love the skating and snowboard Olympics; it is so beautiful how the skaters glide and the snowboarders are able to go up and down and around so fast.
    That elephant is adorable, the smile is so cute.
    Nice work on Santa, if you do not get any beads, please let me know I have a boat load of all sizes and colors.
    Have a great Sunday stitching.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that happy picture of Scott with your daughter! So sweet... tell him Happy Birthday from North Carolina!!! I will look forward to seeing what kind of frame you put around the cute elephant afghan....I love the Santa and hope not too many words were uttered during gold thread stitching! lol Your log cabin blocks look PHENOMENAL! girl :) Congrats on getting some in the books and done right... I bet the others will go a bit easier now that you know... when done with this quilt can you share with us what you really need to do a good job??? I have the book but not all the templates recommended as I didn't know if they were "needed" but maybe they are as I am watching you with this fiddly quilt that I bet will be loved and adored for eons!
    Have a blessed day... I too don't care about football nor does my honey.... but maybe the weather will set some records?! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. your log cabin is beautiful! I don't watch the superbowl I am not crazy about football and only watch it once in awhile. I have never been into it. Happy birthday to your hubby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your hubby! That is a great photo! The elephant blanket is adorable - you've really made great progress on that recently. Enjoy your stitching today, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to your husband! My husband never watched football, so we have never watched the Super Bowl. He liked to watch the America's Cup competitions. I love the look of your log cabin blocks, great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Happy B’Day to your husband. The photo is a happy one! Wow, you’ve been making awesome progress. I can see the gold thread. I have some gold metallic floss but have not yet used. May the elephant border go quickly while you watch whatevever you choose. BTW, ice dancers compete this evening approx 8-15-8:30. Free dance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to your hubby! Great photo of him. I normally don't watch but might tonight. I did enjoy the hockey games in the olympics last night and this morning. I LOVE your elephant afghan. It has been so fun watching it get made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    Your Baby Elephant is so cute. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful photo of your hubby and daughter, Happy Birthday wishes to him from New Zealand! I'm so happy to see the baby elephant appear, what a lovely happy face.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How happy your husband looks dancing with your daughter. A fabulous photo capturing this most wonderful day in your family. Oh yes, the baby elephant is beyond adorable! This is going to be the most beautiful blanket filled with whimsy and fun. I hate stitching with metallic thread. It always causes problems. Your husband's celebratory dinner sounds delicious.....Happy, Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to your hubby. Love the elephant! Your quilt blocks are just incredible. That is going to be such a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can finish this quilt eventually. I started on 10 more blocks today. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  14. happy birthday to him!!! Lovely elephant so cheerful and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love those beautiful log cabin blocks and the unique layout...i'm no football fan either and the 7.6 bil spent on betting irks me to no end...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.