Sunday, October 10, 2021

Some fun!

 I didn't post last week. My son, his fiancee, my daughter and her pup all came to visit last weekend. Yay!

 We enjoyed a beautiful day apple picking. I have no idea what kinds of apples we picked as nothing was labeled, but we had a good day.

Hubby was surveying the scene.
Can you believe how blue the sky was?
There were rows and rows of apple trees.
Another pretty view of nearby lands.
Don't ask me what kind of apple this is.
Don't ask about this one either.

We also stopped by the Riverhead Ciderhouse with the thought of sampling some hard cider and having a snack with it. I knew that they had an outdoor patio and it was fairly empty. Thankfully, prior to ordering we realized that the reason the patio was empty was the multitude of yellow jackets. My son bought two cans of hard cider....one a honey crisp variety and the other called Cinnamon Toast.

We came hope and I set out a charcuterie board of meat, cheese, hummus, crackers, olives and grapes and we all shared the Honey Crisp hard cider. Yum.

I wasn't able to work on any crafts with all the visitors. We played games at night and spent the days amusing Ruby. I think we tired her out.

This week since everyone left, I have concentrated on the cross-stitch on the secret project. I finished it yesterday. Now all that is left is outlining, cording and french knots. I am hoping to get that done by mid-November. 

I moved the scroll on Santa. I am going to work on his hands and the package he is holding. I have started adding some more green!

I have been adding rows to the Baby Elephant Afghan also. I am now about 1/3 of the way done with the graphghan part. 

I am almost done with the physical therapy for my shoulder. I have gotten most of the range of motion back and am concentrating on making it a little stronger now. I will be starting PT for my left knee now. I am not sure what I did, but I hurt it in March 2020 just before everything shut down due to the pandemic. Every once in a while it still feels swollen and stiff as well as a little weak. I have been walking a hilly neighborhood near where I work on one of my free periods and it has been acting up. I finally asked my orthopedist and he thinks I just tweaked the knee cap by stepping wrong. So I will add PT for that to get it all back on track.

As for my mom, she is mostly stuck in her new hospital bed now. She has absolutely no strength in her legs to help the aides get her out of bed. I would like her to be sitting in her wheelchair part of the day, but the aides can't physically lift her every single day and she is too scared of the Hoyer lift that has been provided for it to be safe to use. She was out of the bed was last weekend when her grandchildren visited her and one other day this week. There are days when she is very aware of what is going on and hopes to change it and other days when she just seems to accept where she is. She is mostly refusing to take her medications. She is also eating very little at this point. I am struggling to find food that even interests her. She will eat baked ziti or ravioli. She no longer seems to like my meatballs and sausage that was a staple. The hospice nurse has said to just keep trying different things and let her eat what she wants. Each day is different and some are quite draining. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your mom is failing. Such a hard situation for you and your family. Sending a hug to you! Nice to have your family visit last weekend. The apples look delicious, even if you don’t know what kind they are! Santa is looking good…can’t wait to see the secret project too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a wonderful time with you family! I hope your physio helps ease those aches and pains. I'm sorry thing aren't going well with your mum, it must be such a worry for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Cathie .
    Looks like you had some fun with your family .
    Santa is coming out wonderful.
    I know it's a worry with your mother , I had much the same worries with my parents a few years ago.
    Have a nice Sunday .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry your mum is not doing so well. A very difficult and draining time for you. I am glad you had some lovely times with your family. How fun to go apple picking. There is nothing more delicious than apples picked straight from the tree. Your cheerful Santa continues to delight, Cathie♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a wonderful weekend with family. I am so glad for you.
    Santa is more beautiful each new week.
    So sorry about the health of your mom.
    Have a wonderful Slow Stitching week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathie: I am so sorry your Mother is stuck in bed, I know what that feels like, my Mother was the same and she could not find food she liked, adding you to my prayer list.
    Wow what a wonderful time you all had, i love apple picking.
    Thank-you for sharing your Family with us.
    Santa is so beautiful, the green does really pop on this design with the red.
    I am looking forward to seeing the elephant finished.
    I hope you are back to normal and do not have to do physical therapy any longer.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful time with your kids there! Apples right off the tree are delicious, no matter what kind they are. Santa is coming along, too. I'm sorry to hear how things are with your mom. I'm so glad you have the aides to help now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your mother failing. Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your children though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for the continued story of your mom…
    Love that all your fam was together last weekend…. Congrats 🍾!!!
    Santa is looking quite jolly and glad to hear pt is going so well you can now switch focus…
    Have a good week my friend! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to have family come to stay, dog and all! So sorry to read about your Mother, it is hard for all at this stage if her life. I'm looking forward to see the baby 3lephant grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. praying for you and your mom. I was so excited to see your kids visiting and you have a 'regular' weekend with them as opposed to your challenges with your mom's care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so glad that your PT is helping you! I start PT next week to try to get my arms stronger due to a autoimmune disease that I have my arms have lost some strength over the years and I would like to get it a little better before I age more. Your day at the apple orchard sounds so nice - hard cider sounds perfect - I love it but rarely have it for some reason. I hope your mother will get a little better it is so worrisome when our parents get like that

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.