Sunday, December 13, 2020

Advent gifts

Since my daughter and her husband won't be with us for the Christmas holidays, she brilliantly thought ahead and left these Advent boxes when she was here for Thanksgiving for my husband and I to open each day. 

You can see how she numbered each slot to open.


A few of the gifts didn't fit in the box and are scattered around it. It is so much fun cutting open an area to see what treats we will find.

Here are some of the goodies she has given us. 


I hope you can tell that the wine bottles above are the small individual kind.
The Mounds is mine, TicTacs for Hubby.

Tanqueray and tonic for Hubby and the makings of a White Russian for me. 
Fritos for me. Ruffles for Hubby. Hmmm, I wonder why we are gaining weight?
The best gifts of all so far the were the ones below.
Hubby and I spend many a night watching Hallmark Christmas movies! Better TV than pandemic updates and politics.

Last weekend we decorated outdoors.
We are all lit up now and I finally got to display the Nativity scene that my daughter and son-in-law got me last Christmas.
I have wanted one of these for a long time. 'Tis the reason for the season!

I have added some orange to October Morning just above the fence. There is still some more to stitch.
I have been quite busy grading the final exams that I administered this past Tuesday and determining final grades. I haven't worked on any other crafts all week. 
 I have also been going to visit my mother at the hospital for a couple of hours each day. Her health has improved, but she is still very weak and is now in the rehab area of the hospital. Unfortunately, the move from one floor to another has triggered some sort of confusion and she is quite agitated and depressed. I really hope this passes as it is quite upsetting and may affect her ability to return to her home. I may have to consider getting full-time home care for her. We shall see. 

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I am hoping to spend some time with Three Boats. We did buy our Christmas tree yesterday though, so tree-trimming may be happening instead of stitching.

Thanks for stopping by!







13 comments:

  1. Lovely post Cathie .
    Great idea the advent gift from your daughter .
    I think I will do a few of these next year .
    Your stitching is looking lovely .
    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great Advent calendars! I have a feeling you did something similar for your kids when they were little! My daughter had playmobil advent calendars for several years ant they were a highlight for her each morning. October morning is so pretty! We trimmed our tree yesterday. I hope your mom’s condition improves as she gets her bearings in rehab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your husband are having fun with the advent calendar gifted from you sister. Yeah it is better Christamas movies than sad news. Good to know your mother is out of the Intensive care, praying she will be OK for Christmas. Hope you find some time to relax this Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry your mother isn't doing well I hope that situation improves. That was such a nice idea your daughter had with an advent gifts

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun Advent gift from your daughter! Looks like she was very creative with it! Decorating for Christmas definitely lifts your spirits - I decorated our tree the other day and have been enjoying it so much. Sending good thoughts for your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely and creative gift from your daughter... warm fuzzies for everyone to look over your shoulder and see the thoughtfulness and love she packed in that box!
    Now that your grading is done you can fully enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea your daughter is so thoughtful I think that would be fun to do every year. Your stitching is coming on really well. I'm glad you Mother is improving I hope that the confusion will abate once she gets used to her new surroundings. Thank you for your blog visit today I have added the blanket pattern to the end of the post:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your week and how it has been... I hope the grading finishes quickly and the Christmas decorating is fun!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your mother continues to improve, and the confusion/agitation improve also. Love the idea of an Advent box, how fun. My daughter gets Advent calendars for her kids and they are a new pair of socks each day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great gift your daughter organised for you! Hope your mum continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suchba lot of exciting little gifts to open each day, your daughter is very thoughtful. Love your white nativity scene, it looks so well out in your garden. Do hope your Mum improves so she can return home, it must be a worry to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Jesus is the reason for the season. Love your beautiful Nativity scene and the lights a-sparkling around your home are gorgeous. Loving how the stitching you are doing is highlighting the fence. It is looking fabulous. What a sweet and thoughtful daughter and son-in-law you have. How fun to open your little presents each day. I am saddened to hear that your mum is not doing so well. Hopefully she will begin to improve. It is never easy when our elderly parents begin to become frail. It truly is one of the most difficult stages of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your daughter is so thoughtful! I hope your mom settles and that you can ease up on worrying. That would be so upsetting to see her upset!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.