Sunday, August 18, 2019

In or On

I finished stitching the confetti on the Halloween Topiary. 
Now I can move on to the rest of the stitching which is all solid blocks of stitching one color. I have already started the Jack-O'Lantern at the base of the tree. The rest should stitch up fairly quickly barring any mistakes.

The title of today's post comes from the first sentence. I was debating whether to use "in" or "on". Obviously, I used "on". That got me musing though about a sure way to tell a native Long Islander from someone who does not frequent Long Island, NY. Now I have relatives who live "in" Boston or Racine or Florida. I claim to live "in" New York, but I live "on" Long Island. Don't ask me why this is so, but when an acquaintance or TV personality talks about going somewhere "in" Long Island, you easily know they are not from the Island. They might visit often, but they haven't learned the lingo. I am sure there are quirks in language wherever one lives that easily identify "outsiders".  

Well, enough of that. I bought yarn! Okay, so it is not any high-end yarn, but I want to knit a sweater for my hubby and he is not real enthusiastic about it. He wears pull-over sweaters in the winter and I have never made him one.
I am not an accomplished knitter (I will try anything though), so I did not want to buy expensive yarn. I am going to make the Dan sweater from Ravelry. I have swatched the pattern in this yarn and had to change to smaller needles. The pattern is quite easy though and I think hope Hubby will like it.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday StitchingPop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I will be working on the Halloween Topiary today. I want to finish that Jack-O'Lantern. 

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. I picked up a couple of little balls of that brand last month but have yet to try it. I've never attempted a sweater, you are a brave woman! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with your sweater - I'm glad I tried to make one - now will I wear it? I guess we will find out this winter and maybe I will try another one although I did it crochet not knitting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the sweater! I'm not an accomplished knitter either. It takes me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on finishing a section on Confetti. Interesting about Long Islanders. Wise woman to make a swatch. Enjoy your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cathie: Your Topiary is lovely.
    I had to look at the Dan sweater, after seeing the photo I wish I was a knitter, maybe someday, have a great week,

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your stitching is definitely progressing. Good luck with the knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute cross stitch! Good luck with the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess your husband is a typical guy. No fancy colors or anything. I think he will be impressed with his sweater once he gets a chance to wear it. I think the darker color is typical of what guys want but it can be more challenging for the knitter. Darker colors are harder. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely topiary to stitch! Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for yarn buying!! Loved the in/on discussion. I'm from Pittsburgh and they say yins for you all. Over here in eastern pa, they say yous for yins. Yins is an abbreviation for you ones. I ditched the dialect when it was brought to my attention when at university.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.