Friday, September 11, 2026

September thoughts

 Last weekend Hubby and I traveled to Boston to celebrate our granddaughter's 4th birthday. How time flies. Along with her birthday presents, we brought some of her mother's LEGO sets that were still at our house. There are more somewhere, but we have yet to find where we stored them 13 years ago when we did a whole house renovation. 

Our granddaughter loved putting together the 4 sets that we brought. Our granddaughter is working on parts of a soccer stadium. I have to find the rest of it. (All the directions were stored together in our daughter's old bedroom and she took them home with her on her last visit. She showed them to me so now I know which ones I am looking for.) 

I was recently going through the clothes that I had made for my daughter when she was little and came upon these. I think our granddaughter may be able to wear some of them now. This was a sweatshirt embellishment that was in Crafting Traditions magazine.

I still have the patterns for the items below. I can make some for both granddaughters if I can find a fashion fabric store.


My daughter loved skorts like the red one.

We returned home last Sunday to a somewhat upsetting family issue that caused us to cancel the trip we had planned to California to see our son and his family. I was very sad about this as it has been 3 months since we visited. It is somewhat ironic that our son has subsequently come down with Covid so our cancellation for another reason turns out to be fortunate. 

I have been crafting some. I couldn't concentrate for a couple of days so I just mindlessly cross-stitched. Counting was not a problem. As a result, the Merry Christmas snow globe grew. 

It is about 1/3 completed now as there is a lot of fill-in stitching on the base of the snow globe.

I marked and quilted one border of the Churn Dash quilt. I am using a blue and yellow variegated tatting thread to quilt this as it is crossing two different colored fabrics.

I had to stop knitting my younger granddaughter's sweater for a few days as were were visiting and I was up to a part of one of the front sides that needed my concentration. The back and both fronts are completed and I am now working on the first sleeve.

I haven't baked in a while, but I was craving something with apricot. I made Whole Wheat Cinnamon Apricot muffins. The recipe is from an old magazine clipping that I had never tried.  

I hope they taste as good as they look.

I finished reading The Chelsea Girls by Fiona Davis. It was good, but not as enjoyable as some of her other books. It got better near the end. I am currently reading Homecoming by Kate Morton. I am about halfway through. I am enjoying this book, but not loving it so far. It is over 500 pages, so I have a way to go with it.

I will be joining Frederique at the Quilting Patch on Saturday and Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Take some time to relax with a glass of something cold or a cup of tea or coffee and pop on over to their sites to see what other bloggers are stitching.

 Thanks for stopping by!  

11 comments:

  1. sorry you have to cancel your travel plans and hope you can schedule for another month. I think I read the Chelsea Girls I will have to look it up and see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathie: How lovely that your granddaughter can play with her mothers Legos, so sweet.
    Beautiful clothing, I hope she loves them, I really like the snow globe design, beautiful blue for the sweater, your muffins sound yummy. Thank-you for sharing about the book, I am reading Theo of Golden, love this book.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granddaughther looks like a sweet little girl! I love it when toys are passed down from one generation to the next, and Legos are timeless. Your stitching, quilting and knitting projects are coming along nicely and you are very good at sewing garments too! I hope the family issue gets resolved peacefully. Thank you for sharing and linking up, take care. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sorry to hear you had to deal with a crisis and cancel your trip. I hope your son is feeling better now and that life has settled down. The snow globe is really cute! Happy birthday to your granddaughter…wow…4 already! I used to make my daughter clothes too and still have some of them in boxes in the basement. Gail at the cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your family's upset. Yes, turning to simply stitching is a good way to ponder and relax.

    I made some clothes for my daughter when she was a toddler. So, much fun adding embellishments. She is now 46 years old with teenage sons. Didn't attempt to make clothes for them. :) I also made Halloween costumes for both my children.

    Enjoy the muffins. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muffins were a disappointment. I never made Halloween costumes, though I did alter some of my daughter's dance costumes along the way.

      Delete
  6. The red skort you made for your daughter is especially adorable! The snow globe is looking beautiful! How were the apricot muffins? Fresh apricots or dried?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish my kids had kept their legos separate and with directions. We have a big tub with lots of pieces. When the grands were younger they enjoyed playing with them. Now they are so busy we rarely see them. Sigh. Your muffins look great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we have all of our son's lego but it's all in one big box with all the directions in the big box. It would take ages to build anything from the directions. Happy birthday to your granddaughter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My children never wanted to take their Legos apart so when we had to pack up for our home renovation they were put in storage bins intact. Now they need to be pulled apart and stored individually with the directions so the grands can enjoy them.

      Delete
  9. How fun to find the clothes you made for your daughter and be able to pass them on to your granddaughters! My mom did a lot of sweatshirt embellishment for our kids. It was a fun thing for boys who, otherwise, aren't that fun to sew for! I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip to California - hope you can reschedule soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.