Sunday, November 6, 2022

First HQAL update for November

Here is where I was on the last update. 

I had finished the inner border and was contemplating what to do for the outer border. 

I decided to go with my own ideas for the final border of the maroon baby quilt. I determined that I could go across both the short and long edges with 2 3/4" diamonds (4 inches from point to opposite point) and not have any odd shaped diamonds. This looked a little boring though so I added an oval shape in the center using a burger maker that I have and rarely use for burgers.

You can see the pattern I made in the upper left. I have been happily stitching on this when visiting my mom. I have completed two sides and am working on the third. Soon I will be working on the binding. 

Since the backing, which is the dark floral maroon fabric, is so much larger than the quilt, I decided that I will use it as self binding. The dark color will frame the quilt nicely. 

The HQAL is an opportunity for hand quilters to share and motivate each other. The talented quilters below post every three weeks to show our progress and encourage one another. Stop by their sites to see what they are working on. If you have a hand project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretDebNanette, SharonKarrinDaisy, and Cathie 


Thanks for stopping by!


20 comments:

  1. LOVE the latest quilting you did on the little maroon quilt. At first I was just looking at the pictures and had no idea what the burger maker was. I was wondering if you had a quilting tool that I needed to check out and search for on the internet. Then I read the text and giggled to myself. Yes, I am always looking at the things in my kitchen to make shapes on quilts. That's a bonus when you have quilt brain. Happy stitching. ~~Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like the quilting. I knew I needed something round, but all of my plates were too large. The burger maker was just the right size.

      Delete
  2. looks like a great small quilt to work on when visiting your mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your clever quilting on this sweet quilt… hope you share your version of self binding on your blog as I have never done that!

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting design is coming along beautifully. And yes, it is a very enjoyable process isn't it. I'm still loving the hand quilting I am doing. I think I had one of those burger makers back in the 80's, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty quilt, and your quilting is adding even more to it! Looks like you're making good progress. I love that you found a kitchen item to make the shape you wanted! Have a lovely Sunday, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting is looking great. Love the colors in it! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your original quilting design. That oval makes all the difference. Great job! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! The quilting is looking pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the oval was a great idea although the other alone I thought was perfect. Looking at this today I just realized I have the same material in my stash as your backing. I try to have my backing larger when possible especially to use as self binding. Its going to look beautiful when all done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do a separate binding, but the backing is larger enough and there is no other matching fabric in mom's stash. I am glad you like my quilting choice.

      Delete
  10. I love what you decide on for the outer border! Kathy R.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely project to work on when you visit your mom. Gail at the Cozy Quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cathie: you are making great choices for designs, I am not a quilter but think this is amazing and lovely.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.