Sunday, April 10, 2022

A finish!.......and some other crafting.

Yes, I finished the Baby Elephant Afghan. 

I love it. I think it is adorable. It will be nice and snuggly warm for my future granddaughter. 

I have been steadily adding stitches to Santa. 

He has both of his eyebrows completed. Now I am adding two different shades of blue and some white to the furry brim of his cap. You can see how the brim of the cap is taking shape.

A few of you have asked how my mother is doing. Well, she was released from hospice last week. Hospice determined that she has a greater than 6 month life expectancy. That means I have been scrambling to find a doctor that does house calls so I can get her medicines renewed and get prescriptions for some other items that she needs. It is sad as all she does is sleep most of the time or call out for long dead relatives. She can really only eat foods that are pureed or puddings and such. She can't really feed herself anymore. She is existing, not living. 

When visiting my mother I have been happily quilting this pretty crib size quilt. I may have mentioned that my mother hand pieced this quilt. She never wanted to quilt it, so that is what I have decided to work on as I sit and visit her. The cross-hatch quilting is going fairly quickly. 

I recently bought some quilt stencils to use in the borders and cornerstones. I bought more than I need as I know there will be other quilts to use them on in the future.

I also purchased some quilt markers and a small whole cloth piece that I have been wanting to try my hand at.  I added a few extra stencils to work on another of my mother's quilt pieces also. My mom had embroidered too small shamrocks on it. 

I am removing them....we had discussed this long ago....and I will quilt the center with the large square stencil you can see above. This will be finished as either a table topper or a pillow.

I receive this wonderful belated birthday gift from my son.

I will be making some Christmas table runners and/or placemats with the jelly roll on the right. I have no plans for the other one yet, but I love the fabrics.

Spring has sprung with my daffodils. These are in front of my house.

These are in a corner of my back yard. They are such a gorgeous grouping.

We had a curious juvenile bunny visit our back deck. It kept me entertained for a few minutes.


It was going under and around all of the covered summer furniture.



I am glad Ruby's visit a couple of weeks ago haven't scared them all away.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching. I will be adding more stitches to Santa. The end is in sight now. 

Thanks for stopping by!


17 comments:

  1. Love the blanket so sweet , well done.
    I shall miss your Santa when you finish him it's been a joy to see him growing each week.
    So sorry about your mother , I had the same first with mom , and then a few years later with my father , it is never easy ,I was an only child so had only my hubby to help.
    So sad . Have a lovely week hugs June.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you, Cathie, as you watch your mum become worse with each new day♡ It is a heartbreaking situation. I love your adorable pink elephant, too. Santa's eyebrows make his twinkling eyes even more merrier. Yes indeed, you will have a lot of uses for those stencils. I can see you stitching many more beautiful quilts for your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats a sweet blanket, Cathie. It is for sure adorable.
    I am so sorry about your mother.
    But glad you are working on quilts she made.
    So cute the bunny visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your mom. You have done a great job seeing that she is well cared for and spending time with her. Hand quilting her projects seems like a perfect activity as you sit by her side.
    Santa is speeding along to the finish line. Looking wonderful!
    Your future. Granddaughter will love the elephant blanket

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's situation, Cathie. I hope you can get the help that you need for her. It sounds good to be stitching on her older projects while you sit with her. The elephant blanket is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is sad about your mother - someone has to be with her all the time it sounds like - good luck in finding a doctor to care for her I'm not sure how you do it anymore if it is hard to get the patient out of the house. I know from what you say you do not want to put her in a nursing home but keep her at home as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the adorable finished elephant blanket! So sorry to hear about your Mom... that is a stressful situation and i'm glad you have your joint projects with your Mom to keep you company.
    Such a fun visit from Peter Rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum it must be heart breaking for you. Your elephant blanket is so sweet and so much work has gone into it, your future Grand daughter is going to love it. Santa is coming to life he's fabulous. What a lovely thoughtful birthday gift it's great when your family know just what to buy you. How nice to have a bunny come visit. Have a peaceful Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I think Baby Elephant is adorable! Santa is quite handsome too! So about your mom! I have been where you are, it is hard! Hugs 🤗

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful finish to the elephant blanket. So sorry to hear about your mom, I had been wondering how she was doing. How nice that your are quilting the top she made. Prayers going out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The afghan for your grandbaby on the way is awesome! Santa is looking great... keep chiseling away! I hope you find a house calling geriatric specializing MD or DO to help with your mom. Take good care my friend! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so sad to read about your Mum, as you say, she is just existing, day by day. This must be so hard on you all. Is she aware that you are hand quilting one of her creations?
    As for that baby elephant, it's so nice to see it finished. I almost feel that he is mine, I've enjoyed watching the progress so much. But I'll gladly give up ownership to the beautiful new arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kathy, I'm sorry to hear about your mother but it's really nice that you get to quilt the top that she made. Good luck - it's such a difficult time. BTW your baby afghan is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is a BIG rabbit! I love the blanket it is gorgeous and I enjoyed watching you make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Easter Cathie: The elephant blanket is so sweet, adorable.
    Sant is really growing; he is so beautiful.
    I am so sorry about your Mother, working on the quilt she started, it is lovely.
    Nice new stash.
    Beautiful jelly roll, I am really looking forward to seeing what you make with it.
    Your flowers are lovely and the rabbit is so cute.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just checking in - hoping that my comment is received. Yes, watching your mother fade slowly is very hard. But being with her is your gift to her in her last months of life. I often wonder exactly how Hospice determines just how long someone has. Elaine Shanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.