Monday, December 2, 2019

Virtual Cookie Exchange



Welcome to the Virtual Cookie Exchange and blog hop hosted by Carol at Just Let Me Quilt. I am excited to share a favorite Christmas cookie recipe that I make each and every year with all of you. Part of this exchange is to share a family tradition and quilt too.

Since this exchange is right at the beginning of December, the family tradition that I will share is our Advent Calendar. I bought this magnetic calendar from a catalog years ago. 
When my two children were little one of them got to add a magnet on the even days and one on the odd. We alternated each year and Santa was always the last magnet put on the tree. Now Hubby and I put the magnets on each day. Looks like I need to add one for today.

The quilt that I am sharing is actually a set of placemats. 
I made these several years ago and they have been well used. I love the fabrics if I do say so myself.
Now the cookies. Each year I make Raspberry Walnut Thumbprint Cookies. I have been making this recipe since I was a kid and I have continued the tradition with my now grown children. My son tells me it is his favorite Christmas time cookie. The recipe was originally found in a local church cookbook. I have been know to double the batch (it's a necessity at Christmas time) and make one half with apricot preserves or strawberry jam instead of raspberry jam.

Here are some pictures to show the process followed by the complete recipe.

Gather all the ingredients and the mixer.
 Separate the egg.
 Mix everything together.
Gather all the dough together and wrap in waxed paper.
 Now it is ready to chill in the fridge.
Once the dough is well chilled. Beat the egg-white a little bit and chop the walnuts. I use this handy dandy grater (I think it is for cheese, but I have always used it for nuts). 
I grate the nuts on the finest setting. 
Roll the dough into little balls, then roll the balls in the beaten egg white followed by the grated walnuts.
Place the little balls on your cookie sheet and make a thumbprint. I use the end of a small whisk covered in plastic wrap as I have longish nails. The cookies do not spread.
Next fill each indentation with jam and bake.
Don't they look delicious!

Here's the recipe:

Raspberry Walnut Thumbprint Cookies


Ingredients: 1/2 cup butter, softened  
                     1/3 cup sugar
                     1/4 tsp salt
                     1/2 tsp vanilla
                     1 egg, separated (keep the egg white for later)
                     1 cup flour
                     3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
                     Seedless raspberry jam (or apricot preserves  
                                                        or strawberry jam)

Directions: Cream the butter. Add the next 3 ingredients and the egg yolk. Beat until light. Add flour and stir until well blended. Wrap dough in waxed paper. Chill well, at least one hour. 

                 Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Shape dough into balls about 3/4 inch. Dip balls into slightly beaten egg white, then into nuts (roll the balls around in the nuts). Put on ungreased cookie sheet or Silpat. Press the center of each cookie with a forefinger. Fill indentation with jam. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and store airtight in a cool place. These can be frozen. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Be sure to visit all the other blogs that are participating in this Virtual Cookie Exchange.

December 2nd
Cathie's Craftworks (that's me!)

December 3rd


December 4th

December 5th

December 6th

I hope you enjoyed your stroll through these wonderful blogs. I know I will be collecting some new and delicious cookie recipes to make this year and in the future.

Thanks for stopping by!








            

38 comments:

  1. The cookies look delicious, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look really tasty. Thank you for the recipe. The place mats are pretty, I also love those fabrics. The Advent calendar, unique. I have never seen one just like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tradition and those cookies sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. delicious cookies!! I haven't started baking yet. I'm waiting until I'm closer to the holiday (I guess...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that recipe and we make it every year for the past I don't know how many years! forever I guess

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the recipe. The cookies look so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cathie! Thank you so much for sharing a bit of your family traditions. I really enjoy hearing about them, and how they are passed on from generation to generation and adopted to be carried on into the future. I haven't seen an egg separator like you use before, but that sure looks handy. I think I will whip up a batch of these cookies without the walnuts as I can't even handle them I'm so allergic to them. I think they'll be a fun addition and one I can make with the two little ones pretty soon. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh gosh, what a yummy cookie! I don't even care if these are store bought. I love them!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember making thumbprint cookies as a child. It's been years since I've had them. If might just be time to change that. Thanks for the inspiration and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never made thumbprint cookies, but these look so delicious that I'll have to try them. My nut grinder doesn't make the pieces that small so I need to get one like yours. Great way to make them small! Your placemats are so sweet in those cute fabrics. Thanks for hopping with us, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Advent tree is so sweet - I can see why it would be a favorite for your kids! Thanks for sharing the yummy cookie recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the cookie recipe. I will definitely be trying those this year. I have not seen an egg separator like that since I was a little girl...and I'm 76, so that is a very old one. Brought back memories of baking with mama.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those cookies look wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. raspberry cookies are my all time favorite and this batch looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmm ... look so yummy. I love this kind of cookies ... <3 Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your advent tree, how nice that you and your husband do it now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Advent tree...I have never seen that before. Your cookies look amazing - I've saved the recipe and will give them a try! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember a similar (metal) contraption from making Christmas cookies with my mom, and it was meant for grinding nuts. I hated that thing, it was so hard to do... of course I was much smaller then, LOL. I have a similar recipe that I love but it doesn't have walnuts. That sounds like a great addition, I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 92 year old mom has the metal version still of the nut grinder still. I never minded it. Enjoy the cookies and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  19. I don't think I recall seeing jam cookies coated with nuts. They sound really good! Thanks for sharing.
    MelvaLovesScrasp(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a little different, but quite delicious. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  20. These cookies look delicious and not too hard to make. Another great recipe for my cookbook! Love your placemats. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute placemats. So do you and hubby fight over who puts the ornaments on the advent tree? Love raspberry thumbprint cookies. Definitely a holiday favorite in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thumprints were always made by my GrGrand V and so yummy. What a cool advent calendar with the magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum, yum. Those cookies make my mouth water. I'm sure they are delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thumbprints are pretty much my favourite cookies. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for detailed instructions. I made them years ago, and now I am inspired to make them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your placemats and those thumbprints look yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe and how you made them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love jam thumbprints! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These make my mouth water just to look at the pictures. I must try them, thank you. Thanks for showing your process too. I never thought to use a cheese grater for the nuts. They are so fine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your placemats are really cute! I've seen so many cute things today! I do apricot thumbprints, but I've never thought to roll them in walnuts, first! I bet it's super good with the raspberry! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thumbprints are yummy cookies. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE your advent calendar. Have never seen one like that. What a cute cute idea. How nice you and hubby have continued the tradition. I don't bake cookies, but your's sure look good. You know the best part of virtual cookies.........virtual calories, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cathie: I like your header photo, did you stitch it?
    I love Advent Calendars it is a beautiful reminder of the Christmas Season leading up to Christmas Eve.
    Thank-you for the cookie recipe, I will have to make these.

    Merry Christmas
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.