Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Slowly growing Christmas Tree

So I started crocheting this Christmas tree at the beginning of the summer. It is finally being assembled. First you take a knitting needle and push it through a foam disc.
 I glued some felt onto the bottom to avoid scratching any furniture the tree is placed on. I didn't have any white felt so I figured green would work.

 Next I glued on the skirt. Please ignore the basement in the background. This is my usual crafting space.

 Then I started adding the tree layers. You can see them all laid out in order on the table.
 It's not pretty, but I needed a way to weight down each layer while it dried....my wire cutters did the job.
And so it continued......
Until I got to the top! I found that the roll of masking tape worked well as a weight. The tools were there to keep the spiral upright as it dried.
 Almost finished.
 It needs some decoration. See that bowl of 1/4 inch red pom-poms. They all need to be glued onto the tree. As you can see, I have moved to the kitchen for this part. Brighter and more comfortable.
 Ta-da!!!
I am quite pleased with the final result.
This one will be a gift for my daughter. Now I have to make a second one for my son. I try not to play favorites and I get to do more crocheting! I certainly won't complain.

I am joining Ginny for Yarn Along today. What are you knitting/crocheting? What are you reading? Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are up to. 

I finished reading Distant Hours by Kate Morton. I liked this novel, but I found it to be somewhat darker than her other novels. As a result it took me much longer to read than usual. I still liked the uncovering of family secrets and the intertwining of the characters' lives right until the very end of the book. I don't have anything else in mind to read right now. I will have to start looking around. 

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. Cathie, I absolutely LOVE it. It looks amazing, I wonder if your would mind sharing which pattern you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Christmas tree. Where ever did you get the pattern. big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a DARLING Christmas Tree!
    Super fun & clever, just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You outdid yourself!! It looks fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of you who asked the pattern is from an old Hooked on Crochet magazine....Number 54. I'm not sure you could find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! what a great idea and it's good that you are getting a head start on Christmas gifts too. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that is the kind of Christmas tree I need...very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your tree and thanks for the book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so very cute! But, I do not want to think about Christmas yet! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.