Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Long Island Fleece and Fiber Fair

Hubby and I went to the Long Island Fleece and Fiber Fair at the Hallockville Museum Farm on the North Fork of Long Island on Sunday. 
This is about an hour drive from our home. It was a sunny, warm but slightly windy spring day.
There were many fiber and craft vendors.
This is the colorful yarn display from Fiddle Knits.
I bought the beautiful variegated superwash merino fingering weight you see below from Fiddle Knits. The colorway is Trifid Nelaula. I am plan on making To Infinity and Beyond with this yarn.
I bought the red yarn from Six Paca Farm. It is a DK 2ply in Apple Peel Red. My plans for this yarn are the Cafe au Lait Mitts. That may change though. This is one of the beautiful displays from Fitch Fibers.
There was also this fantastic wood carver, Dan Tracy. Click the link to check out more of his beautiful designs.
One of these great yarn bowls is sure to be on my wish list for Christmas.
Oh my gosh, can you believe how gorgeous this bowl is! This man is a master craftsman.
The yarns below are from Cozy Rabbit Farm. I know for a fact that I am allergic to rabbit fur so I couldn't make a purchase here, but the yarn was so soft. 
There were several animals on display at the farm. This fellow/gal? decided to pose for me when I approached.

There were sheep and cows also. 
There were several demonstrations going on all day also.
The Paumonok Weavers Guild were demonstrating well......weaving. What else?!
We also saw a sheep shearing demonstration. Hubby and I were surprised at how docile this sheep was during the shearing. 

After our visit to the fair, Hubby and I stopped at Palmer Vineyards. We each had a glass of Chardonnay and shared a bag of North Fork Potato Chips while sitting on the back lawn overlooking the vineyard.
After our harsh winter, the vines are just beginning to sprout leaves. It was wonderful to sit and soak up the sun. 
All in all we had a quite enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

I'm joining Ginny's Yarn Along again this week. What are you knitting/crocheting? What are you reading? Pop on over to her site to see what others are crafting and reading. 
I have made little to no progress on my crocheting. I am still deep into crocheting leaves on the Granny Square Roses. I have about 40 completed with the same amount that still need leaves. 
I am still reading Wuthering Heights. I fear I will be reading this for quite some time as I can only read 1 or 2 chapters a day if that many. I am somewhat enjoying this book, but I really am not a fan of books with a lot of angst. I knew going in that this was not a light read. I will definitely need a light and fun book to follow this.

Thanks for stopping by!











7 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a fantastic day out and some wonderful buys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what fun! loved the yarns you adopted, I have to wait for our little one at the beginning of September and that's an hour away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fair was actually somewhat small also but since it was the first I have ever attended it was wonderful.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to spend the day! You bought some lovely things there - the Fiddle Knits variegated is going to look gorgeous all knitted up, and I agree those yarn bowls are beautiful :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cathie, you have a wonderful blog , and loved reading your post, what lovely yarns I would have brought some of those rabbit soft yarns , I also love the ones you brought too.
    What a lovely Sunday trip , hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a lovely relaxing weekend Cathie - isn't it nice to be out and about! xoJoy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.